1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Why the off-center screen

1. hal1

hal1 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one? I don't get it, why have a screen to type on that is off-centered, thus making one thumb have to stretch further/different than the other?

Advertisement
  2. Gundersen

Gundersen Member

[​IMG]
    What do you mean? It looks ok here
  3. hal1

hal1 Well-Known Member

I mean landscape-wise, for typing
  4. =KLRS=ZERO

=KLRS=ZERO Well-Known Member

all phones are like this, bud. the desire seems to have less of an offset though
  5. Gundersen

Gundersen Member

Isn't every phone like that? It would be pretty strange if there was a large bar at the top of the phone with nothing on it. Or if it had buttons, it would be impossible to press them without covering the screen with your finger/hand.
  6. hal1

hal1 Well-Known Member

My storm was centered, as is the virtual keyboard on this Droid.
  7. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Why would one thumb stretch further typing in landscape? Usually, when you're holding the phone sideways for typing, your thumbs will be coming up from the bottom and not stretched around from the sides. So an off-center landscape screen shouldn't affect typing unless the slight imbalance bothers you.

By the way hal1, speaking of the Droid, I was just at Fry's today and they had a display up with a Droid. Now, it was just a dummy phone, didn't work, but the body was legit, and the slide mechanism seems really loose and floppy, and just from using that display phone, I don't think I'd trust a Droid to hold up. Buuuut, it was a dummy display phone, don't know if the hardware is completely identical to the real thing, and it probably gets slid opened and closed a lot, so I was wondering how your Droid is out there in the real world?
  8. the iZach

the iZach Member

Just noticed that iPhones are centered too, this actually annoys me when I'm typing in landscape
  9. =KLRS=ZERO

=KLRS=ZERO Well-Known Member

I don't even type in landscape. Its too slow for me. I think portrait is faster because the keys are closer.
  10. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I prefer to type in landscape because in portrait, the keys are too close! Guess it's all preference. At least the Desire will be in shops to try out before buying it, unlike the Nexus One.