• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why there are no Live Google Map Widgets?

Csaba

Lurker
Dec 27, 2016
Hi,

I've been all around the web to try to find an android widget what displays google map and my location Live(so while i am driving the map follows). There is an app called minimap, which does exactly, however, is a floating app not a widget. Is there a particular reason why no one has done a widget like that including Google.?

Well, a widget is always on and the constant GPS updates and map downloads would burn through data a battery. Plus the map would be on the small side. I'd rather just pop into maps. With Nougat you could do a split screen thing if you need a second, simultaneous app. :)
I think your reasoning is valid, however in my scenario I am trying to have a custom home page for my android system built into my car. (Data and Battery is not an issue). Do you reckon it is hard to make one?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones