Why to wait to root your droid X

Last Updated:

1. prerunnerseth

prerunnerseth Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been one of the first to root both my original droid and my Incredible. Here are my reasons why I will not be one of the first with the Dx.

We already know there is a strong possibility that we will not ever crack the boot loader and be able to install custom roms. Froyo (Android 2.2) is a pretty major upgrade. Without the ability to install custom roms, your choice in a month or so will be to either update with the OTA to Froyo which is likely to fix the root exploit or keep root and wait for a new exploit to be found and/or the boot loader to be cracked. With root there is always a risk running an OTA that you will brick your phone.

So, in conclusion I plan to wait for the boot loader to be hacked or for Froyo to be released and a new or existing exploit to be found to root the Froyo build. IMHO it is not worth it to stay with 2.1 because of root or to risk bricking to take the OTA.

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

When the OTA comes out, we'll have two choices (assuming the bootloader & custom ROMs aren't available by then)

1. Do the OTA and lose root
    2. Keep root, stay on 2.1

I don't know why you think the OTA can brick rooted phones, because it can't.

3. SacNutz

SacNutz Well-Known Member

getting OTA with root will not brick your phone.

4. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Well-Known Member

This.

5. prerunnerseth

It is always a possibility. we have no idea what moto is putting in the OTA.

Granted just root has a very slim chance.

6. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

At motorola development

Person 1 :hmm...these people think they are smart by rooting their phones. Well lets put something into froyo that bricks rooted phones.

Person 2: Well if we were that smart why didn't we just make un-rootable in the first place

Person 1: Right....?

The point is how would this be possible to brick only rooted phones through an update?

7. MCPO117

MCPO117 Well-Known Member

OTA updates do not brick a rooted phone. I had my Moto Droid rooted when 2.1 came out you know what happened? Nothing I mean nothing. I didn't even get the notification saying there was an update available.

8. prerunnerseth

Either way its not worth it to me to have root for a month or so just to lose it if I want froyo.

9. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member

That's fine, it's your choice, but please do not give people false information and present it as fact. There is enough confusion with what Moto has done with the bootloader, no need to add more.

10. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

So you don't think a programmer could break your phone with an update programmed to recognize superuser?

11. PurePursuit

PurePursuit Well-Known Member

Why the hell would they do that. Its not in anyone's best interest. Think about it for a second, why would they intentionally brick phones that are rooted? Like they want to deal with a thousand people trying to return a phone that is out of the warranty policy. Not going to happen, would make zero logical sense.

12. rjoudrey

Why did they lock down the bootloader? They could hypothetically want to scare people.

13. rjoudrey

I was simply saying its technically feasible.