• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why to wait to root your droid X

prerunnerseth

Android Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2009
I have been one of the first to root both my original droid and my Incredible. Here are my reasons why I will not be one of the first with the Dx.

We already know there is a strong possibility that we will not ever crack the boot loader and be able to install custom roms. Froyo (Android 2.2) is a pretty major upgrade. Without the ability to install custom roms, your choice in a month or so will be to either update with the OTA to Froyo which is likely to fix the root exploit or keep root and wait for a new exploit to be found and/or the boot loader to be cracked. With root there is always a risk running an OTA that you will brick your phone.

So, in conclusion I plan to wait for the boot loader to be hacked or for Froyo to be released and a new or existing exploit to be found to root the Froyo build. IMHO it is not worth it to stay with 2.1 because of root or to risk bricking to take the OTA.

When the OTA comes out, we'll have two choices (assuming the bootloader & custom ROMs aren't available by then)

1. Do the OTA and lose root
2. Keep root, stay on 2.1

I don't know why you think the OTA can brick rooted phones, because it can't.

It is always a possibility. we have no idea what moto is putting in the OTA.

Granted just root has a very slim chance.

Upvote 0
At motorola development

Person 1 :hmm...these people think they are smart by rooting their phones. Well lets put something into froyo that bricks rooted phones.

Person 2: Well if we were that smart why didn't we just make un-rootable in the first place

Person 1: Right....?

The point is how would this be possible to brick only rooted phones through an update?

Upvote 0
So you don't think a programmer could break your phone with an update programmed to recognize superuser?

Why the hell would they do that. Its not in anyone's best interest. Think about it for a second, why would they intentionally brick phones that are rooted? Like they want to deal with a thousand people trying to return a phone that is out of the warranty policy. Not going to happen, would make zero logical sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones