• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why two app icons??

dkl1

Android Expert
Jan 2, 2012
Centerville, OH
When I download a free app I get the app icon in my app drawer. When/If I choose to purchase the "Pro" version I get another icon beside the original one. Are both these icons necessary or can the 'original' free version be deleted? Or is it something different with each app?? Thanks for replies/answers

It is different depending on the app. Some folks offer two apps. Free with limited functionality or ads and a paid version with all the functionality and / or no ads. Often the paid version will have pro or elite or other similar distinction in the name. In these cases you can uninstall the free version. Others offer the app and you purchase a second app which is nothing more than an unlock key for the full funtionality in the first app. In this case you would need to keep both installed on the phone for the full functionality. Another way if to offer an in app purchase (IAP) of the full version. In this scenario you should only have one icon in the app drawer.

Upvote 0
The solution to the two icon issue for me ...

I use Nova Launcher Prime that allows multiple drawers in the app drawer. I move the icons I don't want to see into a drawer dedicated for that purpose and never (well maybe once a year) look at it.

... Thom

I also use Nova but not the paid version. Do you have the paid version? I do not think the free version does not offer that feature..

Upvote 0
Yes I use Nova Launcher Prime (the paid version) and yes the option I mentioned is one of the perks for getting the paid version. You can make the icons disappear if you like but I prefer a drawer that I seldom look in.

I am a fervent believer in always getting the paid vbersion of an app so I don't know what else is missing in the unpaid version. Play Storea says ...

Unlock the following extras by purchasing Nova Launcher Prime
• Gestures - Swipe, pinch, double tap and more on the home screen to open your favorite apps
• Unread Counts - Never miss a message. Unread count badges for Hangouts, SMS, Gmail and more using the TeslaUnread plugin
• Custom Drawer Groups - Create new tabs or folders in the app drawer
• Hide Apps - Keep a clean app drawer by hiding never used apps
• Icon Swipes - Set custom actions for swiping on app shortcuts or folders
• More scroll effects - Such as Wipe, Accordion, and Throw

Tesla Unread is invaluable. I wasn't aware that it was not available to the unpaid version.

... Thom

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
The solution to the two icon issue for me ...

I use Nova Launcher Prime that allows multiple drawers in the app drawer. I move the icons I don't want to see into a drawer dedicated for that purpose and never (well maybe once a year) look at it.

... Thom
I'm a big fan of and love to use Nova Prime myself. [emoji41] It's my favorite launcher to date. The Prime version is definitely worth the change it costs. [emoji56]

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones