Why un-root to accept OTA?

Last Updated:

1. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What would be the benefit(if any) from un-rooting, applying the OTA and then re-rooting thanks to the S-OFF unrevoked forever.

why not just apply the 2.15x radio, and wait for a ROM to be built off the OTA.

would it update your HBOOT if some people are interested in that, or no because of S-OFF.

will the radio maybe be different?

is it just for the peace of mind that you got the "official" 2.2

Advertisement
  2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Just me talking but I wouldn't even remotely consider unrooting or downgrading in any way for the OTA. We already have the OTA in Rom form via the leak...it's the same thing.

3. Divine_Madcat

Divine_Madcat Well-Known Member

For me, its the fact that the official ROM isn't the only that isn't cobbled together from other pieces (like being ported from the evo, etc) and having to deal with a variety of issues. I like the idea of rooting to get rid of bloat and add tethering, but I am one of those not convinced by current roms (which is funny, because my HTC athena has had ROMs from the XDA kitchen since i bought it.)

4. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I agree I currently am on the new 2.2 leak, and have been sticking with 2.1 up until this release, and am on the fences debating to downgrade for "official" 2.2 or not. just because I can, I think I will..

5. craigrn16

craigrn16 Well-Known Member

Yea I have the frankenrom_B6 all the things that froyo gives me. I have no reboot issues, no force close issues (except for dictonary widget but that was happening before root) and its faster and quicker. What reason is there to accept the OTA and give up my free wifi tether?

6. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

If you are happy with what you have now, you just might not want to do this OTA at all.
    I decided to flash the OTA ROM just like I have been doing the custom ROMs and it seems to be all good. I have no desire to accept to the OTA update now. I'm all good until someone comes up with a superior custom ROM based on the OTA ROM.