Why update my ROM?

Last Updated:

1. RemArcs

RemArcs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I hope that most of you aren't screaming at your computers now but...
    Why should i update to the latest ROM?

When the new ROM was released I downloaded it ready to install. But I have never got round to doing it. My orange hero is using Build 1.76. I have build 2.73 waiting for the install. But why? I am happy how I have my hero set up. All is working. I can back up all my data and apps so that is not an issue.
    What advantages are there?

Advertisement
  2. chickenlump

chickenlump Member

Only install it if you want you phone to be faster and have less lag with screen inputs.
    :D

3. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

IIRC that was the original ROM that many people complained about - very slow and jerky. I have never had it so can't comment. However many people commented how much quicker their Hero was after the new ROm was flashed.

But then if it ain't broke don't fix it. Or wait until March when 2.1 is due out and rwad the comments on that - may be better to jump straight to that, rather than upgrading twice in a month.

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

+1 for Peter's comment. The difference in the UI response between 1.76 and 2.73 is huge.... it makes the user experience much nicer, believe me.

5. RemArcs

RemArcs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well I did it. Backed up all my apps. But i'm still customizing the settings.........arrrr
    ...but thanks for the advice.

6. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

I hope I don't get lambasted for this question... Just remember I am new to the Hero and I am new to this forum :D :rolleyes:

... What is the ROM? Is this something that needs to be done manually? Is this something everyone with a Hero should do?

Please enlighten me, and I thank you so much for it in advance!

7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

If you update your ROM you're updating the phone's firmware (Like updating windows, for example). It's called a ROM because you write over your phone's Read Only Memory to replace the firmware.

If you don't have the latest version of the phone's firmware, you can download a new ROM from HTC's website. Or from your mobile network if you bought a branded one.