Why use a launcher or alt home screen?General

Last Updated:

1. VolsMcFalls

VolsMcFalls Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry if this sounds silly, but what are the benefits of using a launcher or home screen replacement (launcherpro, ADW, etc?)

I mean, they look like they are copies of Sense UI, so I really do not see the benefit if you are on an HTC phone. I could definitely see if for other Android devices, but I am just confused as to what the benefit is.

Advertisement
    Divine_Madcat and rcyphermd like this.
  2. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Some people like the option of having choices. Also, many people hate Sense and launchers provide alternatives

3. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

Well... neither LP or ADW look a think like Sense, so I am confused.

I like LP because (for me) it runs smoother than Sense. I also think it looks a lot nicer and I love the dock customization. 5 dock icons with 3 scrollable docks plus dock gestures means that you can have up to 45 items just on your dock.

I don't like the rounded bubble look of the Sense dock. I hate that you can only have 3 buttons and you can't change them (either the program or the icon).

4. MathewS81

MathewS81 Well-Known Member

I like tinkering with things. So I'm using a launcher (LauncherPro) because I can customize it more than Sense.

5. weihl165

weihl165 Well-Known Member

I use launcherpro, I really dont like sense, and launcher gives you a customizable dock on the bottom for shortcuts. Its all in how you want to customize your phone. Try a few of them

6. ctc

ctc Well-Known Member

Are either LP or ADW lighter than Sense? i.e. use less memory and proc?

7. VolsMcFalls

8. MathewS81

MathewS81 Well-Known Member

9. MrBlanks

MrBlanks Active Member

Yes, both of have similar features to sense but there are more customization options on both adw and launcherpro. Just download one of them and home switcher and look at all the options.

10. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

I have been using ADW recently because of the option to have many more apps and widgets on my home screens. Yes I know there are widgets that let you add 8 spots to a row but that is ghetto IMO.

After you start using your phone for 6+ months you are going to run out of room with the currennt 4x4 HTC Sense grid even with 7 screens.

Now in the fact that you can customize the look and feel of your phone through Launcher Pro & ADW why not use it?

11. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

That's because they are using a standard wallpaper and a clock widget that looks a lot like the Sense one. You can use various widgets and icons to make any home screen replacement look similar to Sense, but you don't have to.

The actual program, which is simply home screens and docks, looks completely different.

Here is stock Sense UI:
    [​IMG]

And here is a screenshot from my phone, with LP:
    [​IMG]

12. weihl165

That looks cool

13. AnotherHiggins

AnotherHiggins Well-Known Member

You're focusing on the clock/weather widget at the top. That's not even part of LP, it's Fancy Widget* which is designed specifically for folks who love the HTC widget but who want to use an alternate launcher.

Notice how different the bottom of the screen is - that's what folks are calling the "dock," and it is very cool in LP.

I personally love the 3D dock (This isn't my picture - I just snagged it from someone else's post here on AF):

[​IMG]

*Note: Fancy Widget is no longer available in the Market - I don't think HTC was very pleased that someone made something that looked so much like their design. They probably liked it even less that Fancy Widget arguably works better than their own.

14. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has an Evo and downloaded Launcher Pro and told me how awesome it was. I didn't see the point so I never did anything with it.

Last week, to cure boredom I decided to check it out. I LOVE the countless customization options!!! The scrolling dock is particularly pretty damn cool.

15. billybob275

billybob275 Well-Known Member

Here is my Droid Inc with Launcher Pro. I haven't had time to fully customize it yet, but I'm already liking it better than Sense.

[​IMG]

16. VolsMcFalls

Ok, I think I am understanding now. I think I will DL one and play around with the customization. Do they slow your phone down? Do they run overtop of Sense?

17. lizm

lizm Well-Known Member

I'm glad you asked because I wondered the same thing. Based on the market descriptions, they don't sound different at all (get 7 home screens - so what? I already have that.). Having read this thread though, I see that there's more to 'em.

18. edogger

edogger New Member

Another benefit to using LP or ADW is ability to have Landscape home screens...
    Sense does not do landscape on your home screens...

19. Whohulkwalk

Whohulkwalk Well-Known Member

I just like the lp dock better than sense plus I don't need the htc flip clock fancy widget and beautiful widgets are just as good

(yes you can still get fancy widget)

20. Whohulkwalk

Whohulkwalk Well-Known Member

btw imho lp ownz adw... when I first stopped using sense I loved adw then I tried lp and I haven't used adw since just uninstalled adw earlier

21. jayochs

jayochs Well-Known Member

meh i tried launcher pro and didn't like it at all. i actually like sense much better. some of your screens look pretty nifty though! haha

22. Rrrracer

Rrrracer Well-Known Member

If you jumped from an iPhone (or any phone for that matter) to the DInc, Sense makes it easy to intuitively customize the stuff you want. It's very slick and I think it's a great "stock" experience. But ultimately there are many limitations to what you can do with it.

If you REALLY like to tweak things and have it your way, then LP and ADW beat Sense hands down, albeit it's a little more work to get everything exactly the way you want it (because there are SO many options!)

I'm using LP and love it. Tried ADW and it's good, I just think LP is a bit smoother and has better quality animations than either ADW or Sense. In terms of flexibility and customization, both LP and ADW are better than Sense.

23. pucrepeap

pucrepeap Well-Known Member

Sense is a great UI, no doubt. But I love the dock on LP. Everything else is all the same to me, but that dock sure is handy, and looks much better than the Sense dock.

Because of how smooth Sense is since its integrated into Android, I do not have anything bad to say about it. But if they had a customizable dock, I wouldn't be using LP.

24. DrunkDroid

DrunkDroid Well-Known Member

How do you get these custom icons?
    Also how do you create cool color schemes like that?

25. weihl165

+1