Why wireless N been confirmed yet?

Last Updated:

1. cesjr02

cesjr02 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The official notes for today's update have been released. Engadget reports "still don't have confirmation on whether improvements to WiFi performance means 802.11n."

Some one with an 802.11n only router try to connect. :p

Advertisement
  2. teky

teky Well-Known Member

I read in the original upgrade thread that somebody did...wireless N only router and it worked. I've got a wireless N router too (also supports the other standards) and I definitely got a speed bump.

It would be nice to get some official confirmation.

3. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

I got a wireless N router, I think it works, but the reception is so crappy from my phone back on the other side of the house here, it often drops the signal.

4. nzo

nzo Member

It works, I set my router to N-only and the phone connects just fine. I was also wondering why this was still 'unconfirmed'.

5. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

Oh sweetness, I was about to upgrade to N, just trying to figure out what other things can or cannot connect...

I don't think I have any worries now...

6. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member

What's the difference between regular wi-fi and 802.11n?

I just did a test and got a 9,933 kbps (download) and 1,959 kbps (upload)

That's fast enough for me.

7. dels28

dels28 Well-Known Member

Interesting, that some of you are picking up the wireless N. I have a dual band router and my phone is not picking up the N. Even when I manually input the settings, it did not pick it up. Suggestions for other testing.

8. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

@VGPOP there are many different tech's of Wifi, newer = faster, i would say most people have 802.11b/g/n so you set up your router to the type of tech you want to use, N is the fastest but you have to have receivers capable of N too so some people still use b/g if the EVO is N capable, then N is a better and faster connection type so many would prefer to use this

VGPOP likes this.
  9. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member

How would I set it up?

10. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

There are many more places to read up the difference of N vs G, but in short, your WLAN connection would be faster, your browsing speed will do nothing...

N don't penetrate walls as well, so if some of you are having issues, that might be because of the bad wall penetration... I personally don't have stuff to try out to confirm, but if you do, your WLAN speeds should show > 54Mbps...

11. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member

The reason I asked is because I purchased a router to connect my PS3 online when I purchased it last year. I was told that G Wireless Router was the one to take.

So, that was the one I purchased.

I have a Lynksys-G Broadband Router Model No WRT54G2

12. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

well for the PS3 the best it can do it wireless G so yea if you were buying a router JUST for your PS3 then G is fine but N routers are capable of dual mode so you could have one for G for you PS3 and another for N for your other computers if you had them set up with N recievers... really you won't notice THAT much of a difference if you don't know what your looking for, G is PERFECTLY capable for games and has been doing so for as long as internet gaming has been popular. i wouldn't worry too much

VGPOP likes this.
  13. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

^This.

You won't notice lower ping times or something going from G to N. N is good for transferring large data across the network and to curb RF interference from other devices.

14. earlgsxbusa

earlgsxbusa Well-Known Member

Is there another App out there that will tell you which band you are connected to?

In System Panel and in Stock info I can see being connected and speed...but not what band...

any ideas gang?

15. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

yup. i have a wrt610n dual broadcasting 2.5 and 5ghz. bg and n

DELS,

are you broadcasting N on 5ghz? if so switch it to 2.4 ghz and see if it will connect.... :)

16. dels28

dels28 Well-Known Member

marc, as I look at my router settings, both the 5 and 2.4 are enabled via frame burst. The ap isolation whic h I have never played with is disabled. Several thing s in the house including this computer, my bd player, and two wt610 bridges are connrcted via N. Ill try tp\o remove my corrent wifi at g and do a rescan. Just interesting that on my bridges and computer which are dual and tri band can pick up a g and n mode but not my evo.

Note:
    After 30 mins, didn't get anything, any way still getting good speed results on WiFi, 3g, well hopefully we can get 4g soon, only four miles from mile location.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Yeah, the chip on the EVO only support 2.4 GHz.

18. marctronixx

its possible the hardware in the evo only sniffs 2.4g and not the higher less congested 5g band. i know it sucks to have to jump through those hoops to test this but im thinking that may be the reason....

19. maw4bc

maw4bc Well-Known Member

wifi sucks on this phone. i cant get it to ever work. so frustrating.

20. marctronixx

not a true statement. many many folks use wifi daily, myself included.

if you list your gear that you are trying to connect to, someone can help.

if you want personal assistance, connect with me via PM and we can sort it out..

BenChase7 likes this.
  21. apocalypse_later

apocalypse_later Well-Known Member

N works but not well. I'm about 24 to 18inches for a Netgear N router and the Evo reports 64-72mbps. If I walk a few feet away then I'm using sub G speeds.

Real world speed testing (download speed from local FTP server) never shows more than 10mbps of usable bandwidth.

N is something of a gimmick on these things.

22. dels28

dels28 Well-Known Member

As my speeds indicate above, G will work fine for what I use the phone for. On a 4.3 inch dispaly, I can't see needing anymore speed. As much as I love this phone, I am sort of puzzled as to why a N mode wouldn't have been featured from the first specs.

23. Kelita

Kelita Well-Known Member

Confirmed Wireless N
    Sprint HTC EVO (EverythingEVO) on Twitter

24. teky

teky Well-Known Member

25. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

I have a LinkSys E3000 dual-band Router and I just switched my 2.5 ghz band to N only and my Evo picked it right up. Maybe a hair faster than it was yesterday but not that noticeable. But My router is only broadcasting N at this point