• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help why wont my battery last more than 3 hours?

blank

Nov 7, 2009
This is really annoying me lately, for some reason I can only get 3 hours of use out of my droid before its dead, which makes no sense. And that 3 hours is only if I am lucky.

I'm never really doing anything major on it such as games, and simple tasks such as browsing web will drain it.

I got the phone on droid release day so its not new, I really haven't noticed this problem til recently, but also rarely used the phone as much as I have attempted to in the past week (not able to use my computer at the moment).

I just did a factory reset a few days ago.

I always have wifi, and gps disabled, and brightness on auto. Honestly thougheven when I completely lower the brightness the battery still drains.

When I go to see what is using most of the battery it usually shows display and android system at the top of the list.

So I figure the display includes all the widgets? I only use a few widgets which are: facebook app, news and weather app that comes with android, and the mixzing widget.

I've read that a bad signal can drain the battery too. I live in the middle of no where and my signal bounces from 3g to 1x, but barely works where I live (always dropping calls etc).

I've ready that the 2.2 update really messed somethings up too? I got that last year though.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know I should upgrade my phonee, but I'm debating with my self if I should even do another 2 year contract with verizon.

Edit
Oh yeah and listening to music out of the question, drains battery so quickly

got to agree with above post, sounds like its time for a new battery. there is a limit to the charge/discharge cycles in these batteries, and getting over a year of life out of one sounds like it has lived a good life for you. I would say if you are still happy with your D1, spend $40 and get you a new battery. Or go cheaper and get one off the internet, have seen all kinds of prices for them.

Upvote 0
I removed all the widgets from the home screens thaat update a lot, and it seems to have helped my battery.

I'm not sure if a knew battery will be a good investment since my contrct expires in a few month, and not sure if I'm I'm gonna extend it. But sill debating.

If I do extend it I may just get the droid x or even better the iphone. I hear the thunderbolt has crazy battery issues too.

I think maybe the iphone is the best route, mostly because it has good battery life, and I try to simulate iphone like apps on android which drin battery (such as better mp3 player).

I just thought maybe I was missing a trick or something.

Upvote 0
The battery that came with mine lasted about 6 months before crapping out. As others have said, order a few online for cheap. No need to pay $40 at any retailer. They work great. Also, a bunch of quick charges throughout the day are better than letting it almost die and then charging. I know someone did a comprehensive study on the effects of various charging methods and from what I remember this was the best way of sustaining battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones