• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why won't my Sprint Epic Galaxy S update? It's been 6 months...

I can't update to Gingerbread on my Samsung Sprint Epic Galaxy S. I've had this problem since it was released, but I thought there was no other way to do this besides go through the very painstaking process of backing up ALL my phone memory and key settings, resetting my phone or uninstalling the root program (and making sure it does so cleanly), then get the phone to work again, go through the VERY painstaking process of rooting my phone again, then putting all the backed up data there again.

I now have some hope that maybe I was wrong, and there's an easier way to do this.

The issue is that when I try to update to Gingerbread, it says:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed

It says this in what I would call the phone's 'BIOS'. Closest thing I can equivilate it to, upon restarting.

Does anyone know why it's doing this? As previously implied, I do have a rooted phone, but even when I tried un-rooting it with that Voodoo App, it still wouldn't work. How can I get my phone to update, without resetting the phone to factory settings?

Once you root and modify anything in the system it can't be updated. The stock OTA package verifies your system before it will install. So it must be intact and not modified from stock. If your already rooted just create a nandroid backup in CWM Recovery, wipe data, update to a pre-rooted package based off the most current release, then advance restore data only. Or you can backup your apps and data with something like Titanium Backup and do the same process, only restoring apps and data with TB instead of CWM.

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones