• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why won't new update accept a Swyped password?

striplar

Lurker
Jan 29, 2013
The latest update from Samsung now prevents me for using Swype to enter my lock screen password. I do exactly what I've always done and it now says 'wrong password'. If I press the individual keys then it still works.
I can't see what the password is that it's Swyping because it only shows stars instead of characters.
This is really inconvenient. What's changed and what can I do about it?
Any ideas?

It's a real pain that Samsung force these updates on its customers when some of us just want them to leave well alone. It's not as if there's even a way back. Frankly I think it's arrogant and bullying and I resent it.

Ok, I'll answer this myself since nobody appears to know the answer.
It turns out that something in the the new update has forced auto capitalisation of the first letter on the lock screen whereas it didn't before. It doesn't matter that the Swype keypad clearly shows that the keypad is set to lower case letters, it makes the first letter a capital anyway. Obviously the answer is to capitalise the first letter of the password, but why change these things? These enforced updates are a real nuisance. I do wish they'd understand that it's my phone and I'd like to run the software that I want on it, not what they want!!!!!

Upvote 0
I find it interesting that Swype allows you to gesture type your password (on various apps that I use), but Kii does not. There was a discussion about this in the Google+ Kii community. I thought it was a nice convenience to be able to gesture type your password if it were a real word. Others felt it was security issue.

In any case, have you tried to toggle your caps lock back and forth before gesture typing your password? I have noticed that the last time I updated my SGS3, I had to toggle some settings back and forth.

Upvote 0
Toggling the caps on and off makes no difference, it always capitalises the password but it didn't before. I've just changed the password to suit.
It's so much more convenient to Swype a password but I agree that a determined hacker could probably break it more easily. It may also be possible to see the marks on the screen protector from repeated swypes but personally it's just good enough for that I need.

Upvote 0
Have you checked the settings in Swype? Menu>System Settings> Language and Input> then tap the gear next to Swype> Settings> and make sure auto-capitalization is not checked.

The Auto capitalisation is on, and as far as I know has always been on because surely that's how you would want it to work in normal Swyping? I've not changed anything, this is something that's changed in the way Swype and Android work together.
I've just turned auto capitalisation off and sure enough, it doesn't capitalise after a full stop which is exactly what you'd expect. That's no use and it's not the issue. Swyping the password on the lock screen has been working just fine ever since I first installed the beta version and now this one. The auto capitalisation has worked fine all that time too, and the lock screen must have realised that it's not the start of a sentence, it's just a word. Either Android has changed or Swype has. Since the only thing that's changed is the forced upgrade to the new Android version, it's a fair bet that it's to blame for the change.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones