• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why would I need a new Micro Sim card?

Alvas

Jan 24, 2012
Vermont
I finally have my Droid Razr being shipped to me, and I am crazy excited for it's arrival on Friday. However, something puzzled me when it was being paid for by my mother. The cashier told her that when the phone arrived in Burlington, I would have to go the Verizon Wireless store near me and have it activated (even though he activated it in store), and when I did so, they would need to put a new Micro Sim card into the device. If the answer to my question isn't apparent from that small snippet, let me explain a bit further.

Tonight my mother went into a Verizon Wireless Premium Retailer (not an official corporate store, but a third party Verizon authorized chain), to pay for the Droid Razr we had ordered. She went in to pay for it and all my accessories, and when the cashier rang her out, he called tech support to have the phone added to the account under my phone number, which made my current phone (Samsung Alias I think it is) go dark for about 20 minutes. At a prearranged time, I dialed *228 on my phone to reactivate it, and then called to ensure everything had gone smoothly. The cashier assured me that there weren't any problems, and that when the phone arrived in Burlington, I would just have to go to the Verizon Store near me to have it activated again (which I don't get), but did not mention the Sim card business.

My mother later told me about the whole Micro Sim card thing, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light. Why would the Micro Sim card need to be replaced? If you are wondering why he HAD to activate the phone before sending it to me, he said that it was store policy to activate the phone before letting it leave the store, and that there were no exceptions. However, I don't get why I can't just keep the Micro Sim already in the device, as I'm not sure how friendly and accommodating the folks at the official chain are going to be, and I don't want to hit any more red tape. Can anyone explain?

This is why I avoid third party retailers. They often just make things more difficult.

I don't know why you would need a new micro SIM. Maybe the phone doesn't come with the micro SIM in the first place, or it needs to be programmed. But you do need a working SIM to get onto LTE.

If you want, I can move this thread into the Droid Razr section to see if the guys in there have more specific information.

Upvote 0
This is why I avoid third party retailers. They often just make things more difficult.

I don't know why you would need a new micro SIM. Maybe the phone doesn't come with the micro SIM in the first place, or it needs to be programmed. But you do need a working SIM to get onto LTE.

If you want, I can move this thread into the Droid Razr section to see if the guys in there have more specific information.

Eh, either way... I just have no idea why I would need one...

Upvote 0
This is just my 2 cents but I used to work bestbuy until a few months ago. We had to activate the sim card seperate from the phone but for the phone if that makes sense. Did they give you a sim card at the store? If not then it will come with the phone but still needs to be activated. If they had had a phone in store they could have done it there. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
So I just called the store and this is what they told me. Before the phone left the store they HAD to activate the Sim Card (store policy I guess), and because I reactivated my old Samsung Reality right after that, it deactivated the Sim card in the Razr. So now, they told me that the Sim in the Razr is basically garbage because it only gets 1 activation and then it doesnt work. So they told me I have to go and get a new one from a nearby store because they were out of stock at the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones