• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why would I - or anyone - buy anything from a sucky MetroPCS store? (And ALL MetroPCS stores suck)

ktchong

Android Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2010
This is just a rant. BUT if anyone here actually works for a MetroPCS store, I'd like to hear why YOU think I should buy anything from your store.

MetroPCS stores seriously suck. If I buy a phone in-store to replace or upgrade my current MetroPCS phone, they insist that I have to pay $15 (used to be $10) to transfer my account to the new phone. Why in the hell would I want to do that when I can just call into MetroPCS to activate my new phone/transfer my account to the new phone for FREE?!?

Not to mention I'd have to waste my time and gas to drive to the store, then stand in line in the store (if it's a corporate store that always has long lines) for around an hour, and deal wit the amateurish offensive in-store personnels.

If I have to pay extra, I expect post-sales services. And my experience is that you do NOT get any service from MetroPCS store after they take your money. The last time I paid $10 for transfer activation, the idiot girl (who worked in the corporate store on Whitter Blvd, Los Angeles) failed to properly activate the 4G service on my phone. And she opened the box to my new phone and handled the new phone very roughly, which really upset me (because it was a new phone, and she was messing it around before I even got to touch it!) In the end, I paid $10 and she did not activate the phone properly. I ended up having to call into the MetroPCS to fix her mistake anyway. I should have just call MetroPCS and activate/transfer the phone for free.

And that's not the first time I had negative experience with a MetroPCS store. I've been using MetroPCS for about three years now. I've been to a dozen different stores and three different corporate stores. They all sucked. Now, the only reason I would even consider buying from a store is if the girl was hot and she agreed to go out with me. LOLZ. Nah, not even.

So why would I want to pay the store extra, waste me time and gas, to deal with some rude, obnoxious store person when I can just do everything online for free and a better experience? Save gas. Save money. Save time.

"But I do provide services after my sales."

Im assuming you have an idea of what you're doing as far as changing devices and the website. But I deal with people that do not want to spend the time or effort to do it themselves. I dont just take their money and hand them there phone and tell them they are on their own. Some salesmen/stores don't take the time and wont answer the phone for questions. I do...

I work for an authorized dealer "selling" Metro product. Im the exception

Upvote 0
I've had some negative experiences at the store but also had some good ones. It depends on the people I went to a store by my work been in there a few times and always talked with the guy who worked there. So anyway this was back when I had my Samsung code the charging port stopped working I ran in to see what they had in stock cause I was getting paid the next day talked to the guy about what happened. Instead of me spending money on a new phone I didn't really need cause i couldn't really afford it at the time he sold be a replacement battery at half cost and gave me a battery charger for free. So like I said it some times depends on the people there.

Upvote 0
And that's not the first time I had negative experience with a MetroPCS store. I've been using MetroPCS for about three years now. I've been to a dozen different stores and three different corporate stores. They all sucked. Now, the only reason I would even consider buying from a store is if the girl was hot and she agreed to go out with me. LOLZ. Nah, not even.

Seems like the first time should have been enough.

If a dog bites you when you stick your hand near it's food while it's eating, you don't try it again the next time you feed your dog.

It's nothing new about Metro PCS stores and phone customer service sucking. Most everything can be done through their website or on your own. Very rarely do you actually need their services'.

Reactions: Mexjoker
Upvote 0
Even though it'll be next week before I'm an official Metro customer I have had some customer service contact already;

The Metro phone system is a complete waste of their money. OUR money actually that we've paid Them for service. Those Indians were The Hardest for me to understand of any I've heard anywhere. Impossible. If I didn't take all the posts here to heart that say you can do most everything yourself, this alone would steer me away from Metro.

I've stopped in the authorized dealer down the street to talk phones and they were nice enough. They even did some for pay rooting. ALL of the other phone contact I've had with authorized dealers has been horrible. Like they couldn't care less to think the person on the phone might actually appear in the store with real live money to spend. :rolleyes:

Then there was one girl at the Corporate store 35 miles up the road. She listened to me talk about choice of a Motion or the Avid and that I needed one of them by 13/31 or so and said she'd call me when they were ready to sell the Avids. And she did. IF I don't end up going 70 miles RT to her store in the next few days, I DO plan on calling her store manager and telling him how much I appreciated her help.

If I tell myself that the $30 a month difference between my Verizon bill and what will be my Metro bill is the difference in customer service between the two, the poor Metro service becomes a bit more palatable.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Upvote 0
Bruce, I'm curious to know which phone you have decided to buy, the Motion or the Avid?

Matthew, right now I'd say I'm leaning about 80% towards the Motion.

I am waiting to hear from one of our members here who is a Metro employee once they get to play with one. It is possible he could sway me back to the Avid but probably unlikely. I think he is as unwowed about both the phone and ZTE as I am so the phone would have to be pretty spectacular I think to persuade him to recommend it to me.

I am going over to Melbourne to see my parents and will see if the Corporate store there has maybe maybe a day after Christmas Motion sale. :p If they don't, and the Best Buy across the street has them I'll probably buy the Motion there and activate it when I get back to Ocala. I've read the return policy for Metro and Best Buy has far fewer ifs ands or buts to theirs.

It's not a totally done deal but pretty dang close.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Reactions: Matthew83
Upvote 0
Matthew, right now I'd say I'm leaning about 80% towards the Motion.

I am going over to Melbourne to see my parents and will see if the Corporate store there has maybe maybe a day after Christmas Motion sale. :p If they don't, and the Best Buy across the street has them I'll probably buy the Motion there and activate it when I get back to Ocala. I've read the return policy for Metro and Best Buy has far fewer ifs ands or buts to theirs.

It's not a totally done deal but pretty dang close.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

You are welcome. Besides Best Buy I'm pretty sure I saw the Motion being sold at my local wal-mart, but it was the same price as any Metro store.

Very smart of you to do you research before buying a new phone. At the time I just kind of bought first and asked questions later. :eek: However, at the time the Motion was (I feel still is) the best mid-range phone MetroPCS has to offer.

Upvote 0
same reason people shop at bestbuy insted of newegg.
-Sometimes you need something, such as phone right the way.
- You can't order online because you have no one to receive it at home.
- Language barrier
- there are still people who dont operate PCs
-if I make $60 an hour Id just rather go to the store and have them activate it for me in 20 min so I don't have to wait any time calling customer suppor

Upvote 0
I just hate the $3 fee to pay my bill. (as i dont have a credit card to pay online)
Open a PayPal account, and then apply for a PayPal Debit Card, which can be used as a debit/credit card to pay bills online. It is not an actual bank account, and there is no credit check.

Or:

Open an American Express Bluebird Account. It is a brand new service that is similar to PayPal. Here is an introductory video to Bluebird: Bluebird by American Express, Your Checking & Debit Alternative - YouTube

Neither is a bank account or requires credit check. Either will issue a debit card that can be used just like a credit card.

Then you won't ever have to deal with the imbeciles at a MetroPCS store ever again.

Reactions: jjrx3
Upvote 0
To be fair, all service companies lack in customer service. Not only MetroPCS, I have seen complaints on ATT, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, banks, cable companies, BestBuy, etc etc.

I understand the frustration the thread starter to the point of hating the employees, and not company itself. But it's unfair to blame everything on the employees, being MetroPCS with no credit check company, they get all types of people. They deal with homeless, mentally ill people, drunk people, ghetto people, who believe they are entitled to handle their issues. I remember I stopped by a MetroPCS store, and one angry customer threw the phone at the employee at her face!!!

I also dealt with different stores, some of the are bad, some of the are nicer, and some of them are impressive. My around-the-corner dealer store gives an outstanding service, their staff are knowledgeable above the average customer. One time I went to corporate store for warranty of my phone, I wasn't helped, went back to dealer store to buy a new phone, but they referred me to the account manager for fast service at the corporate store, and yes I was treated like a special customer at corporate for such referral.

I set expectations for MetroPCS customer service, but at the same I'm responsible to know all their policies like $3 fee (ridiculous fee), upgrade fee (which sometimes my local store waived for me for being such a nice customer I am :D), the exchange phone fee, and their return policy (which I find ridiculous). I don't like it I'll do it myself or take my business to another carrier, but at least I know the fees upfront.

I wonder if the OP goes to the store with attitude that belittles employees.

P.S. I don't work for MetroPCS, but been a customer for 2 years now.

Upvote 0
dealing with "authorized dealers" Has its advantages and disadvantages. alot of people that are members of howardforums have seen me dispute dealers in there. i think we all agree when it comes to being a consumer we always trying to go for the best price we can get, we dont care about a free case if we are actually spending enough extra to be buying it. But comes times where your phone dosn't work and a dealer can check it out and call out for a replacement thats one good thing, also alot of times people rather talk to dealers instead of foreigners out of the country that may or may not speak good english.but for me thats about it. im 99% android tech savy so i wouldnt need to talk to no rep anywhere. Keep in mind those $3 are for the dealers to make a living i agree by paying online your saving $36 a year. i had one dealer dispute me saying but we give you good quality service even complimentary drinks at my store and i was like no offense bud you can keep your kool-aid ill keep my money lol

Upvote 0
dealing with "authorized dealers" Has its advantages and disadvantages. alot of people that are members of howardforums have seen me dispute dealers in there. i think we all agree when it comes to being a consumer we always trying to go for the best price we can get, we dont care about a free case if we are actually spending enough extra to be buying it. But comes times where your phone dosn't work and a dealer can check it out and call out for a replacement thats one good thing, also alot of times people rather talk to dealers instead of foreigners out of the country that may or may not speak good english.but for me thats about it. im 99% android tech savy so i wouldnt need to talk to no rep anywhere. Keep in mind those $3 are for the dealers to make a living i agree by paying online your saving $36 a year. i had one dealer dispute me saying but we give you good quality service even complimentary drinks at my store and i was like no offense bud you can keep your kool-aid ill keep my money lol

99% Android tech saavy? Damn, you need to teach me some things then. Haha

Upvote 0
Even though it'll be next week before I'm an official Metro customer I have had some customer service contact already;

I've stopped in the authorized dealer down the street to talk phones and they were nice enough. They even did some for pay rooting. ALL of the other phone contact I've had with authorized dealers has been horrible. Like they couldn't care less to think the person on the phone might actually appear in the store with real live money to spend. :rolleyes:

Then there was one girl at the Corporate store 35 miles up the road. She listened to me talk about choice of a Motion or the Avid and that I needed one of them by 13/31 or so and said she'd call me when they were ready to sell the Avids. And she did. IF I don't end up going 70 miles RT to her store in the next few days, I DO plan on calling her store manager and telling him how much I appreciated her help.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I made a 3rd call to the in the past very helpful Corporate store Shannon this morning but she was with another customer and had to return my call, which she did.

She said her and her manager were not aware of the new pricing dealie even though they both thought the $55 was going away at the end of the month. I ask from her and got her email and forwarded her the URL to the thread here with the new rates in it.

I also ask for and got her managers email addy and sent her a very short but nice Thank You note for the help and great service I've gotten from her Rep Shannon.

It was my pleasure to do so, she earned it.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Upvote 0
same reason people shop at bestbuy insted of newegg.
-Sometimes you need something, such as phone right the way.
- You can't order online because you have no one to receive it at home.
- Language barrier
- there are still people who dont operate PCs
-if I make $60 an hour Id just rather go to the store and have them activate it for me in 20 min so I don't have to wait any time calling customer suppor
in short, because you have no other choice.

Upvote 0
i went to a metro store yesterday to get another wall charger and the only other person in the store worked there...that place used to be jam packed back in the day
I remember the stores in my area were packed during the flashing craze like 3 or 4 years ago but maybe that store has some competition down the street that you dont know about and may even give complementary kool-aid ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones