Why would my droid format my SD card?Support

Last Updated:

1. anthfett06

anthfett06 Member This Topic's Starter

I am so unbelieving mad right now at the droid. Why would it format my SD card?? I just realized this! All of my media and pictures and app data are GONE! I had over a thousand pictures that were precious to me and only some of them are backed up on my computer. Any idea why the droid would do this??

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

If all it did was format the card then they are probably all still recoverable.

Take the card out, put it in an SD card adapter (or computer w/micro SD slot) and get some file recovery software and see what you can recover.

Seems more likely that something got corrupted on your SD card than the Droid actually formatted it. That can happen if you are copying files to/from the card via your computer and you don't unmount the card before detaching the USB cable.

3. anthfett06

Ok yea I've used the program Recuva before and I'm running a deep scan on the card right now. I really hope I can get back most of the files...

4. Redflea

I know you don't want to hear this right now (I know 'cause I just lost a bunch of work files due to a problem that ate my originals and backups) but you really need to get a scheduled backup process in place. :)

Good luck on the recovery...I've lost some pics over the years and it really, really sucks.

5. anthfett06

Yeah I know I should have them backed up on my computer. Stupid me. And I have some of them on there but not even close to most.

6. anthfett06

Ok good news! I think I actually recovered every single photo. I lost the data on each one, like the date and time taken but I have them all so I am still happy about that. Recuva is a highly recommended program!

7. Redflea

Excellent! Hadn't heard of Recuva...going off now to find out about it. Thanks.

8. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I am using Recuva now to see if I cant recover any of my wiped files. Thanks for the tip.

9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Lookout Mobile Security is free in the App Market and provides online backup and recovery, as well as phone location if you lose the phone. Highly Recommended. Good luck on recovery.

10. Redflea

It says it scans for viruses...are there really any Android viruses? Never heard of that.

Also only appears to back up photos and contacts online. My contacts are already online in the cloud, don't see the benefit of a backup. Photo backup would be nice...

11. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

Hmmm youu are now the fourth person I have seen is happen to including myself. I really wish we knew why this was happening

12. ocman

ocman Well-Known Member

do you have slacker installed or use it? Did you read all the reviews in the market about slacker wiping out people's SD cards?

13. anthfett06

Really?? It's slacker? I JUST installed it and started using slacker at work yesterday! Must have been it. Well I will be backing up my photos and everything else often and will check out that mobile security app. Thanks for the tips guys!

14. bonacci01

bonacci01 Member

This happened to me as well. I had brought my droid and usb cable into a store to check compatibility with stereo headunits for my car. I got bumrushed with a guy asking my questions and i unplugged it not thinking before i unmounted and it made me reformatt. Lost all pictures and music. I will try this recovery method tonight, I didnt know it was possible.

15. anthfett06

When it does a quick deletion like that it isn't actually formatting the card. It just makes it so those files and sectors can be written over when needed by other files. So yes use Recuva and you should be able to get pictures back. Larger files tho like videos I was not able to recover unfortunately. Only 2 of many, but not the ones I really wanted.

16. bonacci01

bonacci01 Member

Good to know! Thanks. This threwadd was very useful to me. I might get my data back!