• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why would these chargers NOT work on Android?

ScorpDX

Android Expert
Feb 7, 2010
Dallas/Fort Worth
Saw these as the daily offering from woot.com At the bottom of the description it says they're not compatible with iPhone or Android. I get that the iPhone has a different charger plug, but why not android? Anyone think they'll work or know why they won't? For that price I was thinking of buying a set or two just to have around but don't want to waste the money if they really won't work.

Energizer_Energi_to_Go_Portable_Mini___Micro_USB_Charger____2_Pack4kzStandard.jpg

If they say they are not compatible, trust them. I bought a charger for ten bucks because it fit my phone and it was a good price. A week later, car mode popped up insistantly everytime I charged. So I sprung 30 dollars for an approved radioshack one, haven't had the problem since. It isn't worth compromising on a charger.

Upvote 0
Saw these as the daily offering from woot.com At the bottom of the description it says they're not compatible with iPhone or Android. I get that the iPhone has a different charger plug, but why not android? Anyone think they'll work or know why they won't? For that price I was thinking of buying a set or two just to have around but don't want to waste the money if they really won't work.

Energizer_Energi_to_Go_Portable_Mini___Micro_USB_Charger____2_Pack4kzStandard.jpg
The wall charger that came with my phone states:
Output: 5v / 1A

I'm thinking that the chargers you found have a different output which may or may not adversely affect the battery. Too much power may cause the safety circuitry inside the battery to not allow charging. Not enough output may not engage the charging cycle.

I also noticed that the wall charger for one of my phones won't even charge the other phone and both are android.

Just a guess.

Upvote 0
I think your guest is correct. Their power output is not strong enough. overcharging is not usually an issue (in my opinion) as you can use a 1A charger on any devices that require only say ... 500mA. On the other hand, if the output from the charger can only supply 500mA and the device (ie. Phone) requires 1A. the charger will not work. This is the case as to why iphone chargers may not necessarily work for Ipad and also why data cables connected from PC will not charge the ipad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones