• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why you shouldn't buy HTC.

Hello everyone,
I'm posting here so anyone can know what can happen if they buy an HTC.

I have a desire which had problem rebooting en overheating, after consulting forums I saw it was a problem with the first generation of desire and send it back to waranty. Ok, the motherboard was replaced. But when it came back from reparation it started freezing when using things on the sd card. I sent it back but they couldn't figure out what it was, they sent it back. I was told my phone would go one more time to reparation and if it was still defective I would get a new one. By that time I fought it was a software problem so I said, no problem, I will wait for android 2.3. wich never came. But my phone was crashing more and more. So a week ago I sent it back to reparation. And now they told me I'm responsible because there are trace of moisture. So, the problem couldn't be identified in the first place and now I am suddenly responsible. I'm feeling really betrayed here and I will get a defective phone back. I don't ask for a new one, I just ask for a working one. Apparently, this is too much asking for HTC.

I just wanted to make everyone aware that this can happen to you too if you have a defective phone. So you can choose your next one knowing all the parameters.
(Sorry if my english isn't perfect, it's not my native language).

Unfortunately this seems to be quite common - I know 3 people who have sent phones back to HTC for repair only to be told it's water damaged. Either their water sensors are hyper-sensitive or they just use it as an excuse to get out of fixing phones. I love my Desire, but the way my friends have been treated is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards Samsung for my next phone.

Reactions: Azariel01
Upvote 0
Hello everyone,
I'm posting here so anyone can know what can happen if they buy an HTC.

I have a desire which had problem rebooting en overheating, after consulting forums I saw it was a problem with the first generation of desire and send it back to waranty. Ok, the motherboard was replaced. But when it came back from reparation it started freezing when using things on the sd card. I sent it back but they couldn't figure out what it was, they sent it back. I was told my phone would go one more time to reparation and if it was still defective I would get a new one. By that time I fought it was a software problem so I said, no problem, I will wait for android 2.3. wich never came. But my phone was crashing more and more. So a week ago I sent it back to reparation. And now they told me I'm responsible because there are trace of moisture. So, the problem couldn't be identified in the first place and now I am suddenly responsible. I'm feeling really betrayed here and I will get a defective phone back. I don't ask for a new one, I just ask for a working one. Apparently, this is too much asking for HTC.

I just wanted to make everyone aware that this can happen to you too if you have a defective phone. So you can choose your next one knowing all the parameters.
(Sorry if my english isn't perfect, it's not my native language).

hi there
you have the right to say such things this is a public forum.
as intrested as we are in peoples experiance (as a group)
may i say that your not the only person to have the so called trace of moisture apple are big on this too, not liking people with sweaty palms they like to accuse you of dropping your phone in the bath or a swiming pool.
as for the issues of the repair shop its a hit and miss depending what tec guy you get to fix it out of the millions of phones out there there will be a small % of ones dont work 100%

Upvote 0
hi there
you have the right to say such things this is a public forum.
as intrested as we are in peoples experiance (as a group)
may i say that your not the only person to have the so called trace of moisture apple are big on this too, not liking people with sweaty palms they like to accuse you of dropping your phone in the bath or a swiming pool.
as for the issues of the repair shop its a hit and miss depending what tec guy you get to fix it out of the millions of phones out there there will be a small % of ones dont work 100%
The problem is they promise me things and by the third time I sent it back to reparation suddenly it's my fault. The new anomaly started after the first repair, so who told me they put everything back to normal? I have taken care of my phone, it's even in a protective sleave all the time. I just think this is a big fraude and they are sure to get away with it because who would pursue them for 500$?
Next time I'll buy samsung.

Upvote 0
You don't have to accept the decision. Presumably you have some sort of paper trail (emails, receipts etc) recording the phone's fault history, and HTC certainly will. I suggest contacting them again and politely pointing out that they have previously admitted a fault exists (with no mention of alleged water damage) and that it was they who invited it to be returned for a final repair attempt.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear but you only have a few posts here so I don't see that you asked for much help in these forums.

Every company has bad apples (pun intended).

Try writing to someone higher up at HTC, you've got nothing to lose.

Ranting on here usually gets threads closed and for good reason that they don't bring anything.

There's nothing to do, their decision is final. My phone is probably damaged because they didn't put it back like it should be, or simply because they just don't want to do anything about it anymore. If you have an adress for a "higher contact", by all means, please let me know.
My only intent is to warn everyone of what could happen if you buy an htc. Check the facebook fan pages by the way, really interesting.

I don't write here because you guys are the experts, and I don't talk when I don't know. But I'm reading you with pleasure. And before I act I really inform me a lot. So when I sent it the first time I knew it was an overheating problem caused by a defective motherboard. But try to explain that to the person at the support center. They treat you like you are saying nerd thing and don't know what you are talking about. Worse when you take time to write the full problem on an A4 sheet so they can find what is wrong, they write back to you asking what is the problem because they can't find it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones