why

1. albanymike

albanymike Well-Known Member

can some one tell me why people buy 4g when there's no 4G in there town?
    I like the EVO but no wimax till about a 2 hour drive to NYC?

Advertisement
    :
  2. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

Wi-Max is a dying technology, so there are no more Wi-Max devices being manufactured. LTE is the true 4g, and has a much wider coverage range (check out Verizon). All T-mobile phones are "4G" compatible and can access any of their traditional 3G towers at faster speeds.

Not to mention, the standard is in high end phones. If you had a choice between the GS3 or an older phone without LTE, most users here would make the high end choice. So, if you're asking for specifically Sprint, LTE phones are the only high end ones they have.
  3. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Well-Known Member

Because its being deployed across the country?! :rolleyes:

You don't live for today, you plan for tomorrow.
  4. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Well-Known Member

Not to mention - a lot of phones the support 4G are the top end hot phone to have. With or without 4g they are simply desireable. So if your in an area that doesn't have 4g you still have great, and bonus when your area gets 4g.
  5. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

It also is nice to have 4G/LTE when you travel, even if you don't have 4G yet in your town.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Because eventually you'll get 4G in Albany, New York. Then you'll be happy you got a 4G capable phone. :) BTW there's currently no 4G in Xilinhot, Inner Mongolia either.
  7. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

Just to rub it in the Apple fanboys
  8. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

There is plenty of 4G in Albany, Verizon 4G :)
  9. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Some of us wind up with 4G phones since they also have the ability to run apps faster and better. I don't care what I've got as long as I have a connection - even edge is fast enough to look up a dimension for a product - but I do want efficiency in apps.

Since TMO is messing with towers, I'm seeing H on the Nexus S when I bother to turn off wifi.

(The wifi icon hides the network one) It seems to switch on and off, but it's there.
  10. TgeekB

TgeekB Well-Known Member

When I bought my SGS II Skyrocket there was no 4G in my area. About 3 months later it went live so I did not have to get a new device to enjoy the speeds.
  11. !on

!on Well-Known Member

Do we mean buy, or get it free on contract?

Most people just want the latest phone, some of these people will never know all of what said phones could do, never mind rooting or jailbreaking. Purely fashion / status symbol.

There is an element of 'future-proofing' I guess, & there is an expectation from people, in particular in urban areas that 4g will spread.
  12. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

I have friends like that. They just accept what Sprint tells them..

One of them will be really astonished at my Nexus S doing what I want it to do when I want it to do it.
  13. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

4g late towers will be live here in spring.

Do I mind that I can't connect to wimax 4g? Not at all. I'm accepting slower speeds now for much much faster speeds later
    kct1975 likes this.
  14. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

I think some people buy 4G without knowing what is or is not available in their area. Or they travel to places where it is available. Or they think 4G is better than 3G because 4G has one extra G in the name so it must be better.