• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi-Fi connection fails - requires router reboot!

bobthebob

Sep 2, 2010
I've been having this issue with both my Nexus' - my 10 and my 7.
I'll look up and find my connection bars greyed out or none showing and my connection dead. All the other devices on the network will be functioning just fine, just the Nexus will have no connection (I have two laptops - one Mac one PC - several cell phones and sometimes a printer)
Looking at the settings the network will show that it's either trying to connect over and over or just "saved".
Attempts to log back in will be unsuccessful with the device seeming like it's failing to get an IP address our something.
The ONLY way I can get reconnected is to reboot the router itself. Quite a drag...

Google doesn't seem to turn up anything, and forum searches likewise have not been successful
(One problem is there's a lot of 'noise' in results from searching trends like "Wi-Fi", "connection", etc).

Anyone have a clue? It's annoying, especially when it happens somewhere I don't have access to the router (coffee shop etc).

Mostly tho, it seems to happen at home.

I'm running a Belkin N150 router with out-of-the-box settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Note: the problems don't always show up on both Nexus' simultaneously. Sometimes one will have a connection while the other does not, and sometimes they'll both be disconnected.
Every other device's connection will be fine tho.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Buddy of mine who just bought the 7 a few nights ago having exact same issues. All other devices connect fine , his 7 keeps dropping WiFi.

He has been an all Apple guy, this has been his first experience with Android and unfortunately it is not good.

Update: after rebooting his router his connection has remained stable he is going on 24+ hours without a drop

Upvote 0
I've seen this reported for a great number of Android models and also iPhones and iPads, with the same cure, reset the router.

It may help (no guarantees but it sometimes helps) to try Wifi Analyzer and check for channel conflicts. I also recommend choosing your own network name rather than letting the router use its default.

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
Do yourself a favor and get the manual for your router. They probably have a PDF version. Anyway go through the manual and find out how to reserve IP Addresses for all of the devices on your network. I have found that sometimes the DHCP server on routers can hold IP addresses, deny release of an IP address a device wants to have just after the lease resets, and generally just cause spooky things with Android. What reserving IP Addresses will do is tell both your Router and Device that no matter what that Device owns that particular IP address every time it connects rather than it looking at 254 different numbers (although most routers only leave 50 IP's to the DHCP server) to find the next one available. I have recommended this to several friends and customers and it has a pretty good success rate of fixing issues. Also check for Router firmware updates from Belkin. If this doesn't work let me know as I have a few other suggestions.

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
I know this is old, but I'm gonna chime in anyways..

1. How long is the lease on your DHCP scope on your router?
The reason I ask is this, some do very short leases form the get go, and rebooting the router makes everyone completley disconnect from the router and re-request a dhcp lease. Killing the wifi connection does the same thing.

2. Is there a utility to request a new dhcp address out there? If so, is there a way to attempt to renew your lease or request a new one after its dropped its connection to see if that fixes the issue?

3. Is the spacing of the drops a uniform length between, or is it 5 minutes one time, 3 days the next...?

4. Have you updated to the new 4.3 that was relased months ago (I know, but covering the bases here.. and you cant play baseball with only 3 bases :D )

The reason I ask, is quite simply there may be a fault in the dchp system that is causing problems when a lease runs out.

Upvote 0
My router had a similar bug with one of my Xbox consoles. they never got an IP Address and timed out. i had previously reconfigured the router to only allow a max of say six devices online at once to save bandwidth but i started to grow with devices so that number became eight and that meant two units would not get online. it wouldn't work even if i turned two other devices off to 'make room'. i had to reboot the router. eventually i upped the pool to 12 devices at once and it's all good now.

have you ever had a device 'steal' another computer's address in your network causing both to lose connectivity? for some odd reason my Google TV used to do that and would bring it and pretty much everything else offline until a reboot of the router. that was of course before i upped the pool.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones