Wi-Fi connection issues

Last Updated:

1. UnWeave

UnWeave Active Member This Topic's Starter

There's at least one other wi-fi related thread on here, but my problem is slightly different:

I can see all available networks, but when I select a network and then hit "connect", nothing appears to happen. The wi-fi status remains as "disconnected", and under my selected network it just says "Remembered, secured by WPA Personal", not the "Obtaining IP..." etc. I've tried just leaving it at this point, to see if it eventually works - no go. This happened in the past but the problem seemed to solve itself.

Every other wireless-capable item in the house works fine, PSPs, Laptops, other phone. It's just my Hero.

It's a netgear router, I don't suppose anyone else has any suggestions as to why it won't do anything, or has had similar issues? When I get the chance, I intend to try it on other networks, but at present this is all the information I have.

I've tried a soft-reset of the phone, disconnect/reconnect and forget wireless network to no avail...

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Do you have any BT Openzone APs remembered? If so try 'forgetting' those and retry. I remember reading a thread on xda-developers where this was confirmed by two or three people to be a solution for a similar issue. Yeah, I know it sounds crazy but if it worked for them.....

3. markie-m8

markie-m8 Well-Known Member

I have some issues as well sort of like yours, I've found if I press add another WiFi network and call it what my network is, not entering any security passwords just the network name, it seems to kick start my proper saved network.

Does that any sense?

4. UnWeave

Afraid not; I have a couple of other networks remembered, I think 2 others. They are both bog-standard WPA-protected networks, though.

I think so, so you mean I just go the the bottom, "Add Wi-Fi networks", call it virgin broadband (that is my current network's SSID), then just connect to the other one as normal?

If I did it right, again it doesn't seem to have worked. While I was at it, I tried adding the network manually but it doesn't seem to actually register (just says, "not in range", for one of my "virgin broadband" connections, though this may just be because I've got the same network twice).

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway!

5. ash_jassal

ash_jassal Member

:(

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  6. UnWeave

Yeah. I'm guessing it's another software issue, like the missing texts seems to be (luckily, I haven't experienced this as yet).

I'm hoping it'll be fixed at some point in the future, the sooner the better.

7. nnadeau

nnadeau New Member

I'm curious if anyone here has seen an update to this issue. I'm attempting to connect to my Netgear router for wifi access. Here's the details:
    The router is a WNR854T, set up for 11 b/g/n Mixed mode. It has no WEP/WPA security, instead relying on a Wireless Card Access List. The MAC address for the Hero has been entered into this list. As of right now, I have no remembered access lists. There are about 4 or 5 other wireless networks in range, and all are secured.

Here's something I found out, though. I disabled the Wireless Card Access List, and was suddenly able to connect to the network. After re-enabling the Wireless Card Access List, I was still able to connect. Go figure.

Now I'm just left to wonder: why?

8. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Hero doesnt play nicely with (some?) routers set up to operate in N mode. Try limiting the router to b/g - this worked for me.

Stupid and annoying though - my fancy N mode router is now performing exactly the same as the G mode router it replaced.

9. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

I have had the exact same problem both at home and at my dads house. Both have Netgear routers ( but not N rated). It does not happen that often and sometimes switching off mobile networks seems to kick start it. Rebooting works but that is obviously not very desirable. Mind you its a lot better than my father in laws D-link that disconnects constantly from my Hero and his ( again not an N router). Sorry this is not much help unless misery loves company!

10. dave

dave New Member

Same problem here, just CANNOT connect to my N router with my Hero. It's an N router. Had no problem with my old Belkin G router.