• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi-fi eating battery

Inspector72

Dec 3, 2014
So to find out what' s eating my battery ( like 50% in 2 hours ) I've either deleted or stopped all known battery burners ( macfee, weather channel, locations ,etc. ) . The problem still continued and when I checked the battery in settings it showed wi- if was using 30% and phone idle was using 21%. Everything else was under 8 so is this normal ? Phone is casio g'z lte commando and os is 4.1.2 ( kitkat I think)

Here's the usage after turning off the cell search and using straight wi- fi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0
A phone will not use much power if it is locked onto a signal. I always leave WiFi on with minor effect on power use. But if the cell signal or WiFi signal is too weak of course the phone will keep searching and use up the battery. This is not a fault in Android, it's simply your phone trying to do what you told it to do.

Not much you can do if spend a lot of time where the phone cannot get a cell signal to lock on to except turn off the phone. Turn off WiFi.

I use WiFi Location Toggle to automatically turn off WiFi when away from home or other trusted WiFi networks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eshayne.android.WiFiLocToggle

Upvote 0
I have a very cheap phone less than 100 dollars with 4.4 kitkat and the battery life last up to 2 days. seriously...

I turned wifi off, bluetooth off, brightness to zero..... change the wallpaper to dead which means i am not using live wallpapers...

Well aside from wifi do these practices and your good to go!...

But actually i was joking... my phone lasted two days cause i am just reading pdf files.. not playing games...hehehee :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones