Wi-FI Error, S-Off

Last Updated:

1. GetSet

GetSet Member

I was trying to root my phone a couple months back and it never ended up working, but what it did do was stop my Wifi from working properly.

I did a factory reset. When I hold power/vol down, the boot screen says s-off still. I feel like maybe that is what caused it to stop working. I want to take it back to the store, but I would prefer to have s-on so no one asked any questions.

Shouln't S-on happen after a factory reset? How do I switch it back?

Also, after the reset, I have an icon that says SuperUser permissions? Never had it before...

Advertisement
  2. funwithham

funwithham Member

if you have superuser then you are probaly still rooted, i am trying to root right now...stupid adb isnt working for me ..
  3. GetSet

GetSet Member

When I select that icon, there is nothing on the SU creen, its blank. Also, the icon is a ninja with a gun, not the skull and crossbones like I remember. Sounds like I'll have to unroot it.
  4. funwithham

funwithham Member

Try that and report back
  5. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

No, S-OFF is persistant.

That depends on how you did it in the first place. If you used .gfree then you can use that again to S-ON. If you did it the old-fashioned way i.e. by flashing the engineering hboot then I think you'll have to reflash the stock hboot.
  6. GetSet

GetSet Member

See, I am starting to understand more and more about how this works, and I did use gfree. Also, after a factory reset, I can still hold the power button and vol down and have that boot screen too. Knowing that, which would be the best way to get it back to stock so I can take it in to have them look at it. The phone is non-stop rebooting unless I plug it into a USB cable :/
  7. Slug

I think it's simpler than I first thought, as the official ROM Upgrade Utility files from HTC appears to overwrite the hboot. In that case simply d/l and flash an appropriate RUU from here. If you can get to the About phone section in Settings, check the current build number and d/l the matching RUU.
    GetSet likes this.
  8. GetSet

GetSet Member

What I found (my DesireZ is from Bell up here in Canada):

RUU_Vision_BellMobility_WWE_1.34.666.1_Radio_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.18_M2_release_154437_signed.exe

What my phone says :

Baseband : 12.28b.60.140eU_26.03.03.26_M
    Build Number : 1.34.666.5 CL273326 release-kys
    Software Number : 1.34.66.5

Will that work? Most of what I read about flashing roms mentioned a zip, but this is an exe, is it run off the phone or the PC?
  9. Slug

That will do the job. Official updates are done via the PC, which is why it's a Windows .exe file. Once done your handset should be back to its pristine out-of-the-box state i.e. S-ON.
  10. GetSet

GetSet Member

Alright, it's done and it worked, everything seems to be back to normal except the Wi-Fi is still saying error. Hardware issue?