• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi-Fi issue

I have 2 of the same kind of routers, one at work and other at home. One of them doesn't allow the S4 to obtain IP address whereas the other one has no issues. The tricky part is that all the 4 S4(s) have the same issue. I swapped the routers and they still don't work with bad one. I have also contacted Trendnet support and they are trying to show me all kids stuff. I'm software programmer and hardware literate.
The S4(s) work at so many other routers and hotspots without any issues, only this particular router. It's brother works without a glitch.
Any insight would be helpful.

Upvote 0
My Samsung can pick up my wifi and it'll work for about 2 minutes and then it'll stop downloading data from my wifi until I turn off my Wifi in the settings and turn it back on again. My old iPhone could pick up the Wifi easily but it's only the S4.

I tried resetting the phone and the modem but doesn't seem to work very well. . Anyone got a solution?

Upvote 0
Two weeks with a new S 4 coming from an iPhone 4.

I notice when I get to a new location with WiFi on, I get the notification a WiFi is available, then it says "WiFi connected" even though I know I'm not. I want to use my data but this limbo between being on and not holds me up. Eventually (like after 5+ minutes) I get the sign-in screen. In wanting to use the web sooner I've even tried turning it off and using LTE but it still acts like it's on and attempts to get me on WiFi. Similarly some places have more than one WiFi to sign on to but when trying the preferred one it goes to the other. Then when trying to discard or delete one of them it still tries and will disable the preferred choice. When I try the opposite it does it vice versa.

Problem seems improved after downloading and utilizing the free app., "WiFi Fixer".

Other problem: how can I stop my emails from trying to connect when I thought I did so in settings?

My phone, even when sleeping, would keep trying and failing to connect with each mailbox. This problem was solved using the Yahoo Mail App. to handle my Yahoo mailboxes.

Upvote 0
Problem seems improved after downloading and utilizing the free app., "WiFi Fixer".

Unfortunately, as of today, the WiFi problems have continued. I keep getting the WiFi icon that I'm on WiFi, as well as notifications I'm on WiFi when I am NOT. Even if I turn off WiFi and rely on 4G, WiFi comes on itself like it's some sort of a zombie with a mind of its own. It keeps unsuccessfully but SLOWLY trying to get on WiFi.

This phone and/or the provider (AT&T) have some real problems with WiFi. Local Verizon dealer told me it has addressed these WiFi issues, a reason for its delayed launch, but this is NOT SO.

Upvote 0
The issue I have when I am connected to wifi is it shows 4g in the upper screen also, to me it seems like both 4g and wifi are connected, can others let me know if you see both wifi and 4g on when you are connected to wifi?

When you are truly connected to WiFi, the 4G icon is replaced by the WiFi icon with 2 small blinking arrows beneath it. With what I call "false WiFi", I've had the icon with non-blinking arrows, then minutes later after getting "connected" notifications, I'll get the WiFi sign-in screen or notification. This is absolutely maddening and dysfunctional. If I didn't have the unlimited data plan, I would be worried about my data usage.

Upvote 0
I have a Galaxy Note 2 and our home network WIFI works perfect. I leave 4G and WIFI on all the time and it switched automatically with no problems and stays connected to WIFI.

My wife's S4 just wont stay connected to WIFI. I can get to connect but it is very intermittent and unreliable. It just randomly disconnects when it wants.

Anyone else having WIFI connectivity issues? Is there a setting I dont know of?

FYI - Both are Verizon phones

Upvote 0
I'm having an issue with wifi as well. I tether my gs4 to my verizon unlimited hotspot for use at home and the data terribly slow. Subpar 3G speeds when I download apps from the App Store. I've seen something about going into the wifi menu with *#0011# but that does nothing on my verizon gs4. Any help from fellow verizon users?

To answer you, Samsung has acknowledged wifi issues with D-Link routers and their firmware.

Reactions: jms493
Upvote 0
I'm having an issue with wifi as well. I tether my gs4 to my verizon unlimited hotspot for use at home and the data terribly slow. Subpar 3G speeds when I download apps from the App Store. I've seen something about going into the wifi menu with *#0011# but that does nothing on my verizon gs4. Any help from fellow verizon users?

To answer you, Samsung has acknowledged wifi issues with D-Link routers and their firmware.

I am using an Apple Airport Extreme router with a Net Gear Extender and Apple Repeater.

What is weird is the the Note 2 works perfectly fine...the phones seems so similar.

Upvote 0
1. Go to your (stock) phone dialer
2. Dial *#0011#
3. Select "WiFi"
4. Turn off "Wifi Power Save Mode".
5. Exit this menu, turn off your Wifi and turn it back on. If you already entered all your wifi credentials, forget your network info (remove it) and re-enter it again.

I have a verizon s4 and when I enter these numbers in the dialer nothing happens. IT is a stock s4. why?

Upvote 0
I am using a dlink DIR655, its a few years old. Hardware version A2, and firmware 1.33NA. I have done a speed test, and have done the channel test using wifi analyzer and don't see any problems. I may have to get a new router as SMALBA suggests

Finally I invested in a new router (asus N66U), and I no longer have any wi-fi problems. I am only using wireless N.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones