• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi-Fi issue

Well, the 18 or so facilities I am at, related to my work (where I really need the WiFi), probably have mixed mode routers. As I've repeatedly stated, I don't really need my smartphone's internet connection at home where I have both a desktop and 2 iPads at my disposal. Secondly, iPhones don't have apparent issues with mixed mode routers as I had no problems using it with WiFi at these same facilities. Samsung is either ignoring this problem or is in denial.

I do agree that this appears to be a samsung issue. I should not have to turn mixed mode off on my router just so my high end smartphone can connect.

The only issue that I am having is trying to send a picture over wireless using mms. For some reason the phone still does not want send a picture mms unless it is over 3/4g. I love my gs4 very much and this issue is not that big of a deal but I would really appreciate it to still work correctly.

Upvote 0
I do agree that this appears to be a samsung issue. I should not have to turn mixed mode off on my router just so my high end smartphone can connect.

The only issue that I am having is trying to send a picture over wireless using mms. For some reason the phone still does not want send a picture mms unless it is over 3/4g. I love my gs4 very much and this issue is not that big of a deal but I would really appreciate it to still work correctly.

Mms requires data. It will not go over wifi. Your phone is working properly.

Upvote 0
Yup this is really pissing me off also. I have updated my firmware on my home router when there was no issues before when I first got the phone. I did a forget network on the phone and tried to add it back over and over again. The phone does a scan of wireless networks, then says that the home network is saved and secured then tries to re-establish and IP then obtains an IP then saves and secures. Then the phone scans the wireless networks and repeats the whole process over and over and over again.

So I got so pissed off while writing this that I went into my router and started messing with some settings. I have a linksys ea2700 with updated firmware. Side note, I hate this router and what linksys has done.

So, I noticed that my wireless was set for wpa/wpa2 personal mixed mode. I set it this way because my xbox will not connect to wpa2!! Since I rarely use my xbox I changed the setting for both 2ghz and 5 ghz to just wpa2 personal. And, HOLY SH** it worked!!!!!!!!!!! :smokingsomb:

I have now had a solid connection for over 15 minutes and ran speed tests with solid results. Though I still notice the device scans networks every 5 seconds still but the connection to my router is solid.

Though the problem at my work is still going to persist as they use mixed mode there as well. So it seems the problem lies in the gs4 not taking mixed mode very well. Or, at least it does not like mixed mode on the specific router that I have.

Hope this helps others
THIS DID HELP... My LG L40G phone was having same issue. Your fix worked. THANK YOU for posting! Tech Support tried to get me to buy a new phone. Cisco tried to sell me a third party tech support for my NEW router that has a one year support contract. The phone is less than 6 mos old and the router only a month old. HOORAY!

Upvote 0
Mms requires data. It will not go over wifi. Your phone is working properly.

Yup. The phone works great if it is only on 3/4g. The problem is I still sometimes stream video from my phone to my samsung smart tv which requires me to have wifi on.

I did leave my house last night and come back and it could not pick up the wifi. I had to manually turn the wifi off and back on then it picked it back up. This I can at least live with as long as my wifi CAN work at home. I just turn it off all of the time now unless I want to stream to my TV.

Upvote 0
THIS DID HELP... My LG L40G phone was having same issue. Your fix worked. THANK YOU for posting! Tech Support tried to get me to buy a new phone. Cisco tried to sell me a third party tech support for my NEW router that has a one year support contract. The phone is less than 6 mos old and the router only a month old. HOORAY!

glad I could help ;)

Upvote 0
Howdy folks,
Had my first issue today with my S4 it is a week old today. Anyhow my wife texted me and asked me to call her. So I hit the dial button and just an error unable to access network while I am home it uses my fios high speed router to do wifi calling and so far it has been working fine. So now I changed the prefs. to use wifi if network is unavailable. I had two laptops on the router when this happened one was on wifi. Maybe just a fluk?
Other then that the phone is great,

Upvote 0
I am having an issue with Wifi calling. I dont have a great signal inside my house so I use the wifi calling option. Well I have noticed that a lot of my incoming calls go directly to voicemail. phone never rings. Case in point the past two mornings my wife called me as she was going to work and twice they went to voicemail but I got the notification right away that I had a new voicemail. SO I call her back.Is this typical for wifi calling? I have verizon fios 75/35. I guess I could disable it. Any thoughts fixes?
Thanks in advance,

Upvote 0
I am having an issue with Wifi calling. I dont have a great signal inside my house so I use he wifi calling option.
You mention that you don't have a great signal with MetroPCS, but how is your wifi signal? VoIP calling works great for me, but it requires a stronger signal. On AT&T I can get clear, drop-free voice with 1 bar. For the same confidence level via wifi, I must have 3 bars. Nature of the beast I guess.

73!

Reactions: kb0sdq
Upvote 0
Howdy Mr. Lucky,
My verizon router is in the next room, so signal is full scale.I also turned the wifi calling off and same deal. So I read somewhere that restarting the phone sometimes fixes things so this morning I restarted the phone hour later wife heads out to work, calls me and it goes right to voicemail and I get the voicemail notification right away.Just wondering if this is just a metro thing or what starting to get frustrated. What good is this gsm phone if I can not get calls or if I call someone like my wife then it goes to voice mail. I had to call her number three times before her phone actually rang
Anyhow,
73 de kb0sdq

Upvote 0
I am having the issue as well. I just got my S4 a week ago. I am on VZW and I have a ASUS RT-N66U router. I tried most of the tricks mentioned here (and some others) without any luck.

I connect fine, stay connected for a time (sometimes for a while, sometimes only for minutes), then it loses connectivity. I can toggle wifi off and on to regain it immediately, or just wait it out, but this really is an issue.

It is a frustrating, grating issue on a phone I just love otherwise. What a shame, and what a pain! I hope there is some upcoming update to address this, though given how sporadic and inconsistent the problem seems to be, I am not very confident one is forthcoming ...

I connect using 5ghz and have zero connect problems now.. So problem solved at home... At my gym still having a problem since they only have 2.4 ghz available and my cellular connection isn't great at the gym so can't always use Pandora when working out... I'm glad that at the very least my problem at home is solved.. I use my s4 as an air mouse in my living room (TV is connected via Hdmi to my pc) and it was frustrating always losing the connection even though it clearly sees it just wouldn't stay connected

Upvote 0
It would appear that there are a lot of wifi issues with the G4 that are not being addressed by Samsung. I, for one, switched my wife and I from iPhones to G4's back in May (2013) since that time I have had rapid battery drain issues with only one phone and now am experiencing slow wifi connections on one. I have used speedtest.net app to test speeds on all of my devices. I have advertised speeds on my iPad 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and my wife's G4 but my G4 is much less. These devices DO NOT work as advertised. I for one would like to see legal action filed against these manufacturers. No one should have to pay the big prices for these so called "smartphones" and then have to spend time working/tweeking on them just to get them to work as advertised.

Upvote 0
There are an awful lot of variables associated with your wifi and mobile data throughput. Many (most?) of us do not have the issues that are troubling you.

You really ought to work for Samsung if you don't already. Simple fact for me (and others of us) is multiple WiFi sites worked fine with iPhones, and WiFi at these same sites work poorly with my original and replacement S4's.

Upvote 0
You really ought to work for Samsung if you don't already.

That, sir, was totally uncalled for. :mad:

Simple fact for me (and others of us) is multiple WiFi sites worked fine with iPhones, and WiFi at these same sites work poorly with my original and replacement S4's.

Another simple fact: different combinations of router & device chipsets react.... differently. I know of several former iPhone 5 users who have switched to S4s and report better wifi reception. All that proves though is the old "YMMV" adage.

Mixed-mode APs will always be at a disadvantage compared to single-mode ones. That's not to rule out Samsung doing something to compromise Qualcomm's baseband hardware, but throwing insults at each other won't get to the bottom of the issue.

Upvote 0
Slug: what gives? "uncalled for"? "insult"? Nothing I said was disrespectful.

My comment (repeatedly here) about poor WiFi response involves over 18 different sites, not just one or two. Samsung is in denial of this problem, implying it's being fabricated. For the kind of hype and expense that these phones are commanding I think I (we) deserve better.

Good day sir.

Upvote 0
Nothing I said was disrespectful, sir.

Agreed, but it was a bit harsh no? ;)

Has anyone listed the kit they're seeing the problem with? Encryption/authentication protocols? If common factors can be found then the info could be useful.

Our WLANs at work use Cisco routers and our S4s don't seem to have any issues, but I don't know (yet) which chipset they use. My Broadcom-based router works with absolutely everything if I use AES encryption, but TKIP won't work with recent Androids. Wifi troubleshooting can be a pain in the.... proverbial. :(

If common factors can be found then the info would be useful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones