Wi-fi issues with Android MarketSupport

Last Updated:

1. edie209

edie209 Member This Topic's Starter

I have searched for an answer to my problem but nobody seems to have an answer.

I can connect to the web on my home wifi, I can connect to to google talk, gmail ect. I can connect and search Android Market BUT I can't download an app I just get the message "Download was Unsusccessful" It seems almost like my firewall is blocking app downloads so I searched for the Android MArket Port info and found that it uses UDP and TCP 5228, I opened these on my firewall and get the same error.

After some more searching I found this solution to clear cache

SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > MANAGE APPLICATIONS

Once in manage applications, click the menu button and select filter and filter by all.

Now delete the data AND cache for the following applications (if you only get the option to delete one or the other, then do what is available):

Download Manager
    Google Apps
    Google Talk Service
    Google Talk Storage
    Internet
    Market
    Talk

I have tried this and still I have the same error on an atempted download.

Is there another port to open on the firewall or is there another solution please help.

I must point out that on my mobile connection I am having no problems.

Advertisement
  2. edie209

I have solved my own problem so I thought I would share it just incase someone else has a similar problem.

Home Setup

ClearOS Firewall/gateway solution
    Linksys Wrt54 wifi router Connected to ClearOS by a Switch.

I have modified the IPtable using this command

Code (Text):
    1. iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp -m mac --mac-source A1:B2:C3:D4:E5:F6 --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
    A1:B2:C3:D4:E5:F6 Being the MAC address of Phone

This allowed me to connect in all situations EXCEPT Android Market

After a little more investigation I found out that the "Content Filter" was the problem By switching the Proxy to Transparent mode downloads are working.

3. loopyjump

loopyjump Member

Hi.

My samsung is also stciking on 'starting to download' on all andrioud apps. I am not a particularly technical person - would it be poss to explain how you bypassed this problem in layman's terms.

Many thanks!

4. edie209

OK first of I am by no means an expert on Android.

My first question is on wifi can you browse the internet, youtube ect?

If so what is your home wifi setup i.e. what wifi router do you have? what encryption are you using?

With out telling me this the first thing I would try is the cache

click on the left hand button on the home screen

SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > MANAGE APPLICATIONS

Once in manage applications, click the menu button and select filter and filter by all.

Now delete the data AND cache for the following applications (if you only get the option to delete one or the other, then do what is available):

Download Manager
    Google Apps
    Google Talk Service
    Google Talk Storage
    Internet
    Market
    Talk

Try this and let me know

5. nicolas82

nicolas82 New Member

i have Samsung Galaxy S with android 2.1 update 1. I setup proxy on my phone but all apps that requires internet connection can't work with proxy, only internet browser works through proxy. Can anyone help about this issue ?

6. edie209

Read my reply above that is a good point to start. Also you say you entered the proxy address on your phone. Is your router running as a proxy?

7. randyhk

randyhk Active Member

I work for Bell Canada, and sold the unit to a customer. (Proud owner of one). The customer came back the next day saying he was not able to download any apps. I've tried downloading some apps with the same error above, and suddenly I asked the customer if he had registered his gmail account with the android market. He shook his head and I had to totally wipe his phone. We tried clicking the market, and suddenly there was a pop-up for the customer to register. After registering, it was entirely fine. Hope this helps!

8. loopyjump

loopyjump Member

thanks for eveyones help - finally sorted problem. Issue was teh sim card! Once i changed service providers app downloads were no longer an issue!