• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-Fi network blocks mobile devices

Hi,

The Wi-Fi network at my workplace apparently blocks mobile devices somehow.

I can connect to the network fine but cannot load any webpages or connect through any apps on my Desire. It works fine however on my laptop.

Has anyone else encountered this and more importantly is there a way round it???

Thanks a lot!

Andy

I have a week old Desire, it's been connected to my home network via WiFi all that time, no problems at all. All of a sudden today - literally all of a sudden - it stopped working. Turn off WiFi and I can get on the web, collect email etc. Turn it on, nothing. Even though it has an IP, says it is connected and all other devices in my house (2 iPhones, two laptops and an iMac) are all happily connected to the web. I have tried forgetting the network and re-joining without any luck, rebooting the phone, nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
It still doesnt mean there's no proxy. Of course, less likely however. Download the ipconfig app and then when your connected to the WLAN, check to see if you get an address for ip address, default gateway and DNS. If you don't get that far, try a wifi signal analyzer app to see if you've got a good enough signal. I think anything above -80dB should be ok? (dont quote that db tho)

Upvote 0
It still doesnt mean there's no proxy. Of course, less likely however. Download the ipconfig app and then when your connected to the WLAN, check to see if you get an address for ip address, default gateway and DNS. If you don't get that far, try a wifi signal analyzer app to see if you've got a good enough signal. I think anything above -80dB should be ok? (dont quote that db tho)

Thanks for that...

Downloaded the app and all sections are filled in so yes I have an ip address, default gateway and DNS servers (DHCP Server and Subnet Mask too).

What does that tell you?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thanks but I don't think we're experiencing the same problem and as this is my work's network not my own I can't reset the router.

Anyone else have any solutions?

Thanks.

I think you either have a proxy problem with the wifi, or as others have pointed out you need to speak to IT and have your desire's mac address added to the list... however, a simple solution to the 'wifi knocking mobile off' is to disable the wifi on fone when at work, then you still have data from 3G/HSDPA, but you may not want this depending on your package.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones