Wi-Fi Only

Last Updated:

1. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm going to be going overseas in a month or so and I plan on taking my Droid with me. I don't want to incur any crazy possible roaming charges, so is it possible to turn on just wi-fi without any other connections? I'd like to be able to use the wi-fi (and I'm hoping the Skype client will be out by then) without having to worry about any crazy cdma connections.

Advertisement
  2. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Well-Known Member

CDMA does not work over seas to my knowledge

3. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Just tried this out and it seemed to work: turn airplane mode on, then manually turn on wifi. I didn't test the wifi connection, but it turned on and I was able to see available networks.

jamo likes this.
  4. &roid

&roid Well-Known Member

Just put the phone in airplane mode, you don't want to burn the battery searching for a mobile network, then turn the wifi on.

Edit: What he said /\

jamo likes this.
  5. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Excellent guys, thanks!

6. RyanB

RyanB Guest

I just got back from the Caribbean where I did exactly that, and it worked without a hitch. Just be sure to not power your phone down at any point, as it will turn the cellular radio back on after booting up (regardless of whether you were in airplane mode or not when you shut it down), causing "unwanted" texts, vmails, etc to come through.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk