wi-fi questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

does it switch over to a wifi network when one is available??

in other words, is wifi "preferred"??

it seems so

just wanted to confirm it

Advertisement
  2. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

This has been my experience as well. I went out for lunch yesterday and driving it notified me of an open network and asked me if I wanted to connect. This also wasnt the first time it asked to connect to an open network.

For the most part, I keep my WiFi off now.

3. nathanotis

nathanotis Well-Known Member

WiFi is faster than 3G... Why wouldn't you want to connect at any given spot? Or are you referring to the hassle of saying "no" every time it asks?

n.

4. SDscorch

wifi is faster - but it also sucks down batt

and.. while you're not connecting, its "yelling" extra loud to try to find one (the cell ph radio does this too - that's why your batt will drain faster when you're out of coverage)

me? i'm leaving it on - screw it

if it becomes a problem, i'll modify my approach

so far i haven't seen batt performance enough to justify other ppl's squawkin about it

5. SDscorch

wifi is faster - but it also sucks down batt

and.. while you're not connecting, its "yelling" extra loud to try to find one (the cell ph radio does this too - that's why your batt will drain faster when you're out of coverage)

me? i'm leaving it on - screw it

if it becomes a problem, i'll modify my approach

so far i haven't seen batt performance enough to justify other ppl's squawkin about it

6. tubes6al4v

tubes6al4v New Member

When the Hero connects to a wifi hotspot, it will route data through there. However, by default the phone will ask before connecting to an open wifi that has not been used before. There is an app called Wefi, which can be set to auto connect to any open spots it detects.

What I do: Use my unlimited data plan except when I am at home or a trusted network (or out of coverage).

7. tubes6al4v

tubes6al4v New Member

When the Hero connects to a wifi hotspot, it will route data through there. However, by default the phone will ask before connecting to an open wifi that has not been used before. There is an app called Wefi, which can be set to auto connect to any open spots it detects.

What I do: Use my unlimited data plan except when I am at home or a trusted network (or out of coverage).

8. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

To answer your question, its turned off mostly to save battery life. Wifi isnt an option at work, and even if it was, I would have to play by the network rules, so thats no good.

I dont really feel the need to use the WiFi at home when I have a perfectly good computer staring me in the face.

Should I be out and about. I might turn it on. Thats why I have a switch set up for it. Should I need it. As it stands, in most places, I wont need it.

9. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

Just to confirm the original question, wi-fi is preferred yes. I contacted HTC when I got mine to have this offically confirmed. However, it's worth bearing in mind that by default, whilst your phone is in standby or sleep mode, it drops the wifi to save on battery power.

10. thezero4

thezero4 New Member

I use the program Locale to turn on my wifi when I get home and also it turns the ringer on. But this seems like a good solution for me get wifi at home without changing anything and I set it to turn the wifi radio off below 50%.