Wi-Fi Signal Strength LowSupport

Last Updated:

1. rxjjang

rxjjang Member This Topic's Starter

Could any of you please comment on their Wi-Fi signal characteristics? I average "1 bar" [ -) ] unless I am right next to my wireless router, at which point it displays full strength connection [ -))) ]

Interestingly there is no significant difference when I run a bandwidth speed test (speedtest.net).

Advertisement
  2. Eggwardo

Eggwardo Member

mine is bad too. In my living room where everything else (computer, PS3, iPhone) gets 80% - 100% Fascinate gets 0 or 1 bar. 10 feet from the router signal moves around from 1 to 3 bars.

I tried using the wifi analyzer app to get a better idea of the signal strength but it doesn't seem to work right for me. The "needle" never moves.

I haven't been able to find anything else about this. But i've only been searching fascinate. I'll check other galaxy s phones and update if i find something.

hopefully someone who knows more about this stuff will find this and give some insight.

3. saps

saps Well-Known Member

I get 3 bars of wi-fi when Im on the same room as my router when I go to my tv room I'm probably 40-50ft away and going thru three or four walls. The signal usually drops to 2 bars. I have seen DL speeds of over 20K in the same room as my router. They drop to around 12-15K in my aforementioned TV room. Still plenty fast as I sat to watch football and was all over my various apps and what not.

4. gingergirl

gingergirl Well-Known Member

Interesting!!! I was wondering the SAME thing! I only have one bar as well... Whereas, I have an iPod Touch (which is rapidly becoming lonely) and that always has full-strength wi-fi bars. hmmm... wonder what's up with that??

5. Geeb

Geeb Member

Ive noticed on my fascinate that the signal strength does seem lower over all compared to my itouch as well, but after a few minuets the signal strength was at full bars like my itouch was. and this was when the phone was in the same location and range to the router. perhaps the phone actively monitors its wifi strength? And also what the itouch may consider "good" strength may be "average" to the fascinate.

*just ran a speed test on my fascinate at 3 wifi bars I get 12Mps download and 4Mbps upload speed.(my computer which is directly connected to our modem get 24Mbpsdown and 4Mbpsup.) standing right over my router the fascinate with FULL bars gets 14.29Mbpsup and 3.19 Mbpsdown. I think from 3 to 5 bars your speeds will be pretty stanble and consistant. gona go test it at minimum bars now..

6. burningembers

burningembers Well-Known Member

I am seeing no noticeable difference in performance and strength compared to HTC Incredible and iPod Touch 2nd Gen.

I am using a Verizon-provided ActionTec wireless router in mixed b/g WPA2 mode.

It is entirely possible this could be something like the Zune HD. On launch the Zune HD had some major wireless connectivity compatibility issues, but this was remedied about a month later with a software update and, at least for me, it resolved all issues perfectly.

7. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Just outta sheer curiosity how fast is the wi-fi on your ipod touch

8. d1c1ple

d1c1ple Well-Known Member

same here so far in wifi testing. 1-3 bars on wifi. any way to tell via the phone directly if connecting b/g/n?

9. tommucha

tommucha New Member

Compared to the BB Bold I just came from I have to agree the wifi is flaky. In my living room, which is 2 rooms away, I have a problem holding on to the signal where my laptop (checked both my macbook and my HP), BB Bold, all show great signal (i'll have to check the dBm). I was thinking this wifi issue could be part of what's killing my battery so I have it shut off now. Just applied the new update so I'm hoping this may resolve some issues.

The cell radio on it seems to have issues holding on to a signal too since I see it switching all the time. Again, something I never saw on the crackberry - yeah yeah :)

10. Veez

Veez Well-Known Member

router is upstairs on the 2nd floor, and im in the basement..a good 30 feet away..and i have either no bars or one bar, and using the speedtest.net app, i get 4-7 mbps...pretty good if you ask me...standing right next to the router i get 10-15 mbps