Wi-Fi stops working after about 30 seconds

Last Updated:

1. aaronwe

aaronwe New Member This Topic's Starter

Just got my ATT Captivate / Samsung Galaxy S.

Wi-Fi seems to work for about 30 seconds at a time, then it stops sending or receiving data. The phone says it's still connected to the network, and it doesn't try to fall back on 3G. Data connections just timeout and fail.

It happens consistently in the web browser, Market, and Maps, so it's clearly not app-specific.

If I turn the Wi-Fi radio off and back on, I get another 30 seconds of connectivity.

This MIT FAQ indicates it's not a unique problem:
    Why does my Samsung Galaxy S Android device keep losing its WiFi connection? (Hermes)

FWIW, I've switched my router into "G only" mode, and the problem persists. Other devices on the network (including an HTC Aria, iPhone 3G, Dell Mini 9, and Toshiba laptop) all work fine and never drop.

Any one else seeing this? Any guesses whether it's software or hardware-related?

Advertisement
  2. Darkeligos

Darkeligos Well-Known Member

3. aaronwe

aaronwe New Member This Topic's Starter

After reading another thread (http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/107859-wifi-galaxy-s.html) that mentioned network mask problems, I set my Captivate's Wi-Fi at home to use a static IP address with a correct netmask of 255.255.255.0. (I'm also using Google's Public DNS, but I don't think that was part of the issue.)

Problem solved! I've been on a solid connection for about an hour with no drops.

We'll see what happens when I take it to another Wi-Fi hotspot.

This doesn't make me confident in Samsung or AT&T's testing capability, however.

4. Ncaissie

Ncaissie Well-Known Member

In having this problem on my xperia play.

5. Ncaissie

Ncaissie Well-Known Member

Setting a static ip did not help.
    Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

Thanks

6. SlappyMcgee

SlappyMcgee Well-Known Member

Go to the market and download "FXR WiFi Fix" open it and click fix my wifi then reboot the phone.

7. digicurt

digicurt New Member

setting a static ip solved it for me I kept losing my connection on my home network no matter what i changed would not stay on more than a day once i set a static ip no problem and hotspots on open networks like school and work have no problem, been working flawlessly for over a month now.