Wi-Fi Tethering

Last Updated:

1. Steemax

Steemax Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone, Ive rooted my captivate and downloaded Barnacle, both the legacy and the beta version and both are discoverable from my laptop and ipod touch but none of them can actually connect, I went through all the settings and played around to no avail. I then tried "wireless tether" app which I can't seem to find in appbrain to link but the icon is the WiFi signal strength bar in green if that helps, the only thing this app does is say wi-fi tethering is on but the device doesn't show up at all.

My question is are there ANY wifi tethering apps that are currently compatible with a rooted Captivate?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. buddy17

buddy17 Member

wondering this for myself also! i tethered with my jailbroken iphone for years....now i'm really missing it. Have yet to root simply because i haven't heard much of a captivate tethering option. Hopefully we can get some responses here

3. anilkuj

anilkuj Member

barnacle works fine with this tweak

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1250 store=persistent

run this on your laptop or computer before you connect to barnacle wifi AP

on Barnacle check Skip wpa_suuplicant.

Thanks

Anil

4. Steemax

Can you elaborate on the first part a bit more, im totaly lost on what "netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1250 store=persistent" means... and would this "Tweak" allow me to connect devices such as my ipod touch, or an ipad etc..?

Thanks for the info! :eek:

5. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii Well-Known Member Developer

Normally WiFi tethering can be enabled through a "custom kernel." If it didn't come as a feature with the stock kernel, a custom kernel ha to be built in order to enable that feature. I have it on my Droid 1 from VZW which works ok, minus the fact that it's not naturally a 1Ghz phone, so it gets hot quick. But having a custom kernel may be the solution to enabling the Wifi Tethering feature. You can have the app all day, but until it's recognized on the phone, it wont do much.

From what I know a few developers are working on a few kernels. I may even try to do one myself.

6. anilkuj

anilkuj Member

7. bllester

bllester Member

anilkul, I tried to install it and I get "install blocked"

8. keredini

keredini Well-Known Member

You'll need to be rooted and set to allow non-market apps.

9. Steemax

Im already rooted but how would you go about allowing non-market apps?

10. keredini

Follow this thread:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/124738-how-enable-sideloading-apps-captivate.html

Then you'll need to get the file to your phone and install the APK. There are several ways to do this. One way is to use the ADB tool from within the Android SDK. I used to do it that way.

However, a recent post on Lifehacker tipped me off to something simpler. Using my Dropbox account, I drop the APK files into Dropbox and then they are synced and i can access from my phone.

Someone else may be able to chime in I think there are APK installers in the marketplace. And you may be able to browse this thread and save and run the APK file using the default browser or Opera. I'm unsure as to if this would work.

Regardless, you'll need to modify your phone using the link at the top of my post.

11. keredini

Confirmed that the Wireless Tether app posted in this thread works. On my Win 7 laptop I just disconnected from my WiFi and am now connected via Wireless Tether. Just ran a test on SpeedTest.net from my laptop's browser, got 3.56MB down and .28MB up (the Wireless Tether app will show total amount of data downloaded/uploaded as well as real time speeds).

This thing kicks major arse! :D

12. Steemax

Sweet! Thanks for the info, im definetly gonna need this for the weekend roadtrip :D

13. ninj@d3@th

ninj@d3@th New Member

I insalled the app but when I start it it says it has errors check the log and in there I get loading wlan.ko module insmod: cannot open '/system/lib/modules/wlan.ko anyone get this error and how do I fix this

14. maverick999

maverick999 Active Member

15. mordak

mordak New Member

16. maverick999

maverick999 Active Member

Works like a charm! Loving it.

17. ChapelJuice

ChapelJuice Member

Is no one having issues with this app at all? I had the pre5.apk app and it worked for a day, then never again. I'd start to tether and it would lock up my phone until I did a hard restart. Just uninstalled it and got the pre7.apk app, and it did the same thing. Very flakey for me.

18. ninj@d3@th

ninj@d3@th New Member

yea I couldnt get it working also. I tried it many times and it still would not work for me. I couldnt get my computer to see it at all. so i just gave up on it.

19. goldz28

goldz28 Well-Known Member

When I was rooted 2.1 I could get Banacle to work just fine. However when I went to 2.2 Froyo rooted I could not get Barnacle to work at all. I kept getting this error "Could not bind to DHCP Port: Address already in use"

I messed with the setting for a little bit but decided to uninstall.

I tried wireless tether and have had not problems with it so far but have only used it once, but it at least connected to my lap top and I could browse the net.

20. Virtual69

Virtual69 Member

Thanks...This one worked for me...Although when I exited, it said I had to reboot the phone?

2.0.7-1 did not work for me. The AP showed up on the client, but the client wouldn't connected. I wonder what they broke here?

Barnacle .5 did not work, it couldn't find ./dhcp or ./nat. Barnacle .4 transferred a few K then would die.

21. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

Finally found a version of Wifi Tethering that worked for me. Going to say though that it eats the battery at a crazy rate and if I plug in the usb charger to help it out the phone gets very hot. These are both things I was used to from the iPhone 3GS though so not really a surprise. Though, I am wondering how much of a negative effect the heat will have on this phone.

22. ChapelJuice

ChapelJuice Member

Are you gonna tell us what it is that is working for you?

23. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

No, I'm not going to tell you which one worked for me, lol. I thought it was called Wifi Tether but was a bit off, the name is Wireless Tether. To be exact I sideloaded wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre5.apk I do not have a link or I would give it to you.

24. ChapelJuice

ChapelJuice Member

:) Thanks, I've actually tried that one before and got mixed results...I've since then tried the pre7 version and barnacle, and they both work only SOME of the time for me.

25. rogue780

rogue780 Active Member

If I tether my phone on AT&T's network, can they tell that I'm doing this and auto-charge me for tethering as well? If so, how can I avoid them detecting it?