• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-fi Widget on Homescreen

Atlas912

Apr 8, 2010
This may be a random question that can easily be fixed but I'm gonna ask anyways. :)

I have the HTC widget for wi-fi access being turned on and off placed on one of my homescreens. The widget allows wi-fi to be on or off.When clicking the wi-fi widget ON the wi-fi won't come on until I manually go into Setting ->Wireless and Networks->wi-fi network and manually turn on my Wi-fi connection.

Now this is not a huge issue but one none the less. Once I connect the wi-fi in this manner it work fantastic at 54mbps. with a good connection. I know the router is working since I use it for my laptops in the house and my in-laws come and use it as well with no issues.

Is this due to the fact that it has WPA password (which is already saved on the phone as the password and doesn't ask for it to access the wi-fi)? Could it be something I am doing wrong. Is there perhaps something I can do to fix this, whether it be a setting or a 3rd party widget to toggle between on and off.

Any input would be greatly appreciated and I hope this annoyance can be corrected.

Thanks again

It wont toggle ON with the widget at all. I still have to turn it on through the wireless network option within settings. The network is saved on the phone. Once activated in this way it works fine but the fact that widget doesn't toggle the wi-fi on and off is a little annoying. I have attempted several times to remove the widget and re-insert on the homescreen. I have even manually removed aka forgotten the saved wi-fi network and re-establish this in hopes that the toggle would work properly.

No such luck. Is there something I am missing?

Upvote 0
i had this issue too i would toggle it on but the wifi icon on top wouldnt come on till i went into the wifi settings and as soon as i got there it would remember the WPA password and connect to the wifi the only fix i found for it was to restore the phone and start fresh again since then i havent seen the problem

Upvote 0
This may not be accurate, but here is what I have noticed...

Mine didn't work either - I would turn it on, but it wouldn't actually switch to wifi until I did the same as you, go into settings and open the wifi dropdown which lists the wireless networks.

After I got my phone to stop being "awake" all the time which was eating the battery, it works. It appears then if the 3G is lit up and you switch, wifi doesn't start to work until 3G is finished and the 3G radio turns back off.

So I am guessing that google sync or something was keeping my, phone awake, and keeping 3G active. Since it was always active, wifi couldn't take over via the widget.

Again this is just a theory based on what happened with mine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones