Wi Fi

Last Updated:

1. nickstanley

nickstanley Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am new the Android world. What exactly is WiFi used for on a mobile device? Does it speed up the internet? Would it help get my gmail emails faster?

Advertisement
  2. aaronmach1

aaronmach1 Well-Known Member

great question, also why would do people use wifi on droid rather than 3g?

3. cdmta

cdmta Well-Known Member

I use wifi for podcast downloads mostly. it would also be useful if you are buying an album on amazon mp3 service-that can take forever on 3G. of course, it depends on your home internet speed as this may be the same or slower than 3G at times.
    I don't think it will get emails faster, since those files are relatively small.

4. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

You'd use it for the same reason you'd use it on a laptop. My 3G speeds hover between 512k and 1Mb, my home DSL is 6Mb, work's is 10Mb. Most public internet connections are faster than 1Mb. Your downloads will be faster, and you don't use your data over 3g.

5. aaronmach1

aaronmach1 Well-Known Member

how do you use wifi instead of 3g and how do you know what one is on? do u have to turn on wifi everytime?

6. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

My very first (But not my only) thought is when I am waiting at places like VIP Auto while they work on my car. I can't get a signal inside the building, but they offer their customers free wifi. :D

7. cdmta

cdmta Well-Known Member

My understand is if you are connected to a wifi router, it uses that instead of 3g.

8. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Yep, it will use the wifi before 3g. I think it will use the faster of the two, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

9. blacklabel1783

blacklabel1783 Member

I use my over 3g whenever i can. It is faster and you dont use as much of your vz data since the majority of peeps have a 5gb limit. But you will have to be using your phone alot to get to that limit. A lot of wirrless hotspots are password protected and some arent. But when you do connect to an anonymous hotspot, just be mindful. of what you send over that connection.

10. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

If WiFi connection is active, it takes priority over 3G.