Wicked Email Delay

Last Updated:

1. viking blue

viking blue New Member This Topic's Starter

Fairly new to android & captivate, only a week or so. The single biggest problem I have is extremely long delay waiting for emails to reach the captivate. I mean 2 to 4 hours, for real. This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes stuff comes in fast, sometimes not. When they do not come in, I can see them on my computer if I'm home or office; Ive been just letting them percolate there to see how long it takes for them to appear on the phone. My email service is hosted by godaddy.com, emails delayed could come from anywhere....totally unpredictable.

I have the email refresh set at 5 minutes, tried changing to 10 minutes but no difference. Force refresh makes no difference, and turn phone off for a minute & back on again makes no difference. Whether it is 3G or wifi doesn't seem to matter either.
    POSSIBILITIES: android 2.1 issue, att system issue, hosting site issue, samsung issue, or I'm insane. Others? Anyone have similar issues?

Thanks
    jeff

Advertisement
  2. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

Not familar with godaddy email services, are you using POP3 or IMAP?

3. viking blue

Should have mentioned that; IMAP

4. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

i have 4 emails linked; comcast, live, gmail, and my school email and i dont have a problem with any of them but sorry i have no advice

5. Usernamer

Usernamer Member

Are you using the stock email app? Try giving K-9 email or Maildroid a try (both free in the Market) and see if the problem persists.

Just a note that you might need to "remove" the account from the stock email app in order to let K-9 or Maildroid take over without interference or multiple notices.

It's been a month since I bought the phone, but I vaguely recall having a similar issue with the stock email app's polling.

viking blue likes this.
  6. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

I use K-9 via IMAP with no problem. However, I don't use GoDaddy for email but my past experiences with them would lead me to believe that the issue is with them.

They can barely run a decent domain registry service, and their other "services" are downright horrible and plagued with countless complaints.

7. megajos

megajos New Member

I am having the same exact problem. My two e-mail accounts are hosted through G-Mail and I have tried both the stock app and mailDroid. Sometimes I get e-mails lightning quick and sometimes it takes hours for them to come through on my phone. For example, I had my wife send me an e-mail this afternoon from her iphone and it came through within 30 seconds. Tonight, I had her try it again and it never came through. I had to shut down my phone and restart it for the e-mail to come through. I have only had my Captivate for a couple of weeks. I am seriously thinking about returning it before my 30 days are up. I love the phone but having this e-mail issue is pretty big to me considering sending e-mails from my phone was the primary reason I decided to get a phone with a data plan.

8. viking blue

Thanks to all for suggestions. Maildroid worked for me. Have not tried K-9, but if I have a problem with maildroid I will. I have stock email app & maildroid running, no interference issues. Maildroid highly recommended. Happy Android Ending.

9. vapor311

vapor311 Well-Known Member

stock mail app is slow will even still show things you have deleted from your mail box via a comp in your standard mail as showing in your mailbox on the phone. its useless.

mail droid is a ton better, i use mac mail and can have things show in my mac mail and have deleted them and hour before they show up in stock mail as new..and yet they have already been deleted.

10. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

I Think there is something about the stock mail app that doesn't play nice with godaddy - i have intermittent problems. But Godaddy has their own issues from time to time. opening a trouble ticket usually fixes things.