• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WidgetLocker - Awesome App imo

It works fine for me - my biggest problem was that WidgetLocker would come up if I used the car dock, and I'd have to unlock sideways, and if I turned the screen off and back on it would also apppear. I have a workaround - I use Tasker to kill WidgetLocker on docking, and to restart it when undocked. Still it would be nice if the developer could update the app to make it detect a car dock and deactivate it.

Upvote 0
I've been emailing back and forth with the developer for a day now. I ended up uninstalling the app for a few reasons, but the big one for me is that it can create a security breach that can bypass your lockpattern if you combine it with the quicksettings app (which I will never get rid of) :(

I love the flashlight idea though! Very nice;)

I know this is a bit of an aside from the original post, but i think its worth mentioning...
I know the lock pattern is a great way to slow someone down from getting into your phone, but keep in mind it is a HORRIBLE way of securing anything on your phone. Take this for example... You unlock your phone to check something briefly, and without really touching much, you lock the phone back up. Now, with the screen off, look at the screen. The smudge from your finger tracing the lock pattern is clear as day...anyone can get into your phone. Ive told this to atleast 3 classmates that use a lock pattern, and every time, I had their phone unlocked within the first or second try. If you have anything in your phone you need to protect, you really need to find an app or ROM that allows the use of a passcode that allows you to tap on the numbers instead of a pattern that has to be traced

Upvote 0
I found this App too unstable and I finally removed it.

The default Lock Screen kept coming up anyway so I went back to default.

EDIT: I reinstalled and found a work around to fix the problem WidgetLocker is back on my Nexus One and working flawlessly like a dream!

Here was my trick:

1. I uninstalled the SwitchPro Widget and installed Power Control Plus (Widget)....much more stable I might add,...anyway I set up a lock screen toggle, and this is important because you want to disable the lock screen and leave it disabled.

2. In the WidgetLocker "Advanced" menu I selected "Root bypass of Five Second Rule" and this requires two things
a. root (of course) ;)
b. do not use HomeHelper

Now everything works like a charm, with the default lockscreen disabled it never comes up again and with the 5 second rule disabled it always opens to WidgetLocker even if you just turn off the screen for a few seconds.

Upvote 0
I just wish somebody would come up with a -good- lockscreen app that lets you put your contact info on it, in case it's lost.

You can set Tasker to display a custom message on receipt of a certain code by text. So you could have it display contact info and even lock the screen so no one can use it.

Or you could create a jpeg with your contact info and have Widget locker display that.

Upvote 0
I wish this app had an option to set a delay before it goes into effect. Such as waiting 5 minutes from when the screen turns off. This would be really handy if you know you're going to be going back to your phone a lot over a short period. Another nice option would be having it ensure your screen doesn't turn on for incoming messages. It annoys me that whenever I get a text the screen turns on, it doesn't do that with the standard lock screen...

Upvote 0
Same question as one of the posters before, how does widget locker interact with juice defender?

Most people using juice defender set their phones to switch off wireless and data when screen is locked, and to only switch it on every so often (e.g. 1 min in 15) to check for updates, to help conserve battery life compared to always checking for instant updates which are felt to be unnecessay.

After installing widget locker it is noticed that data connection is on all the time.

This seems to negate the effects of juice defender.

The developer has answered questions on this thread, can you please also answer this one? Does widget locker keep data connection constantly on? How come it is not affected by juice defender, and if not, can you make it so it is, because I think on the whole people who install both programs will at the end of the day keep juice defender if it comes to a choice between the two.

Upvote 0
How does widget locker interact with juice defender?

Unfortunately that is the problem. WidgetLocker does not interact with Juice Defender. I contacted the developers some time ago but received no response. Juice Defender is looking for the stock lock screen, but it's not there (easy wake mode) or it's dismissed as soon as the screen is turned on (not-easy-wake). There is an option, that I don't recommend, called "Retain system keyguard" which should keep Juice Defender happy, however it causes the stock lock screen to appear a lot more often and it cannot be used with easy wake mode.

I did a quick check of their site and found this, I encourage you to vote for this issue:

widgetlock

Upvote 0
Good luck with getting any kind of response out of the Latedroid crew. I deleted Juice Defender (actually Ultimate Juice, I paid for it) because of the mess it made of my data flow, and no one there could be bothered to help. Now that I'm reading this I guess it was a conflict with WidgetLocker. I prefer WL to JD any time, due to the great support you offer, Kevin!

Upvote 0
It's quite nice, but I've found an annoying problem. I use my phone everyday for mp3 playing, and I usually pair it with my bluetooth headphones, while I'm on the undergorund or just walking. The problem is that if I skip a track or pause the music while the phone is inside my pocket (that's the idea of using bluetooth headphones) the screen turns on and any widget I've place on WidgetLocker can be accidentally triggered. I remember going mad because my phone was restarting itself, until I noticed this behaviour and that my phone was restarting because I had placed a soft reset widget on WidgetLocker.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones