widgets don't update automatically

Last Updated:

1. Rainbow Snake

Rainbow Snake Active Member This Topic's Starter

This phone looks sweet, and my friends are impressed by the sleek looking widgets on the screens, but I don't have the heart to tell them that the widgets don't update automatically.

This is most visible in the FriendFeed, and "News" widget, but I suspect may also affect the Weather and even the People widget.

My "Background Data" and "Auto Sync" settings are on.

For example my phone was at my home for most of the weekend, where I have wifi. But as of Monday morning, the FriendFeed is still showing Friday's updates.

Any clues?

Advertisement
  2. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

because you have to set them to update themself at set time frequencies.
    e.g. Weather widget will update itself automatically but you have to press on your weather widget which will take you to actual weather app where you have to press Menu button and go to settings, then tick update automatically (it will give you warning about data fee depending on your data plan) which you agree and then Update Schedule will appear where you can set the timely updates depending on your needs. and you can do the same with all your widgets (that are coming from HTC) just you need to go to your actuall app by presing on it

3. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

same with news widget. if you press on top of widget (black bar) it will take you to subscriptions window where you press Menu button and go to Settings screen and chose Update schedule depending on your needs.
    so don't be shy about your phone :) as the widgets are actually updating :)

4. Rainbow Snake

Thanks gie, but all those update settings are also accessible from the "Accounts & Sync" section of the main settings menu.

I haven't changed "Facebook" and that was set to every 2 hours - which it clearly wasn't doing over the weekend.

Intringuingly enough HTC's own "News" app *doesn't* have it's update schedule shown in the standard settings, and that was the only one actually set to manual - all the others defaulted to 2 or 3 hours.

5. weeb

weeb Active Member

I think you have to change the settings in the Friend Stream app for friend stream to update. The facebook you are seeing in the settings is for android's facebook app not the friend stream app (i think, please correct if wrong).

6. Rainbow Snake

So when you say the "settings in the Friend Stream app" ... I assume you mean click on the ">" arrow in the widget to get into the app, and then press the menu key and go to Settings?

When I do that it shows the same update schedule settings for Facebook, Flickr, Twitter that were set in the main settings. Facebook is set to "2 hours" and yet the most recent entries in the FriendStream are from 6 hours ago. Those entries also say things like "updated 6 minutes ago" when that was only true many hours ago.

7. thorgoth

thorgoth Active Member

Also got a prob here with HTC's news widget..
    i can see that all my rss are updated when i go from android's main menu to "news"
    got no prob there..i have chosen update schedule "manual " 30 mins and 2 hours but when i chose the widget (either the big 3screener one or the simple one) only thing i see is "loading news"
    it was working yesterday with 2 X 3tab screeners and 2 simple ones (that's a total of 8 )with no probs at all and manually update option...
    have already rebooted phone and re-enable the widget's on desire screen..still no luck...

is this a HTC sense bug or something?any 1 figured a way to make "news" work-able again?