Widgets/Programs/Shortcuts

Last Updated:

1. westkc3

westkc3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I removed a widget and then went back to put it back on and got the msg there wasn't room. I played around a bit moving and removing items to make room. I learned that while there doesn't seem to be room for the widget, there is room for the "program" for the same app/function. So now I'm wondering, what is the difference between these three? Will one result in more or less battery drain? Is the widget quicker to launch it's program equivalent? Should I avoid placing one type on the home page?

Advertisement
  2. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

most widgets take several blocks of space whereas programs and shortcuts all fit in a 1x1 size space. Generally your widgets will drain slightly more battery depending on what they are for, any widget that is self updating for sure will but things like your bookmarks or people widget wont as they don't refresh themselves regularly.

3. russhour

russhour Member

I am not quite sure if I understand all your questions, but...
    1. Widgets use more battery, obviously, although some are minimal. Depending on the updating you have it set for (ie FB or Twitter) the more drain
    2. App icon allows for a quickload, widgets are slightly faster in terms of load depending on the app. It does however slow down the phone, depending on your need for speed.
    3. I can't really give you as list of apps that power drain, but FB and any other app that has auto update will.
    4. I only have a few widgets and I would highly recommend the same. Widgets are cute, but I have found I rarely use them (my choice over performance).
    - I use Mint, HTC calendar widget (1x4), Power Control (bar) and thats it

That I know of, there is nothing that will cramp your Home screen style