• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Widgetso

Jaumard,

I have a few suggestions (and questions) for you. I do not know if they are possible but here they
are (I use Evo 4G hardware version 003 unrooted with stock ROM):

1) If a person chooses to hide a widget so that it is only accessible from the notification area
only (not on the screen), the following changes are recommended:

a. With the exception of one of my application shortcuts (because it is blue), the widgetsoid widget (1X4 with 8 icons installed) is invisible when the notification area is accessed (probably because the notification area list is a white background). I use the default color settings (white icons) because I like how the icons display on the pop-up screen after selection, but I had to change the icon color to black so they would be
visible in the notification area. This forces a person to "be satisfied" with black or dark icons.
Of course, this is not an issue if a person keeps the widget on the home screen.

b. When accessing a widgetsoid widget from the notification area, there is no way to select a widget without touching it. Doing so changes the state of the touched area icon, closes the notification area and finally brings up the widgetsoid pop-up. In the pop-up a person must undo the unintended selection before making their intended selection. In this scenario I recommend making the widgetsoid widget "unactionable" while it is in the notification area.

c. I use a 4X1 and 1X4 widgets so that I can use the most amount of icons on one widget (I use 10
icons in each widget). I do this because I'm not concerned with space because I use only the
notification area to access widgetsoid (the widget does not appear on my screen). The widgets can be loaded with a maximum of 10 icons. I need more than 10 icons so I use two widgets. When I select one of those widgets the pop-up is displayed in the shape and size of the chosen widget. Because I have 10 icons loaded in the widget, the icons are compressed so badly (especially if labels are set to on) that they are nearly inaccessible. This is especially true of the vertical widget. I recommend that pop-ups accessed from the notification area be displayed in a 4X4 or larger format so all icons are easily seen and accessible. This will also allow a user to load more than 10 icons into a widget if the user chooses to access a widgetsoid widget from the notification area only.

2. What exactly does toggle animations do? I cannot tell a difference either way.

3. In Global Preferences, what does "Widget focusable" do exactly? Please be specific.

4. In Global Preferences, what does "Default state" do exactly? Please be specific.

Thanks for taking the time to make your app GREAT!

Upvote 0
Jaumard,

I have a few suggestions (and questions) for you. I do not know if they are possible but here they
are (I use Evo 4G hardware version 003 unrooted with stock ROM):

1) If a person chooses to hide a widget so that it is only accessible from the notification area
only (not on the screen), the following changes are recommended:

a. With the exception of one of my application shortcuts (because it is blue), the widgetsoid widget (1X4 with 8 icons installed) is invisible when the notification area is accessed (probably because the notification area list is a white background). I use the default color settings (white icons) because I like how the icons display on the pop-up screen after selection, but I had to change the icon color to black so they would be
visible in the notification area. This forces a person to "be satisfied" with black or dark icons.
Of course, this is not an issue if a person keeps the widget on the home screen.
Just go to global preferences on "Notification" and you can customize notifications differently than widgets.
b. When accessing a widgetsoid widget from the notification area, there is no way to select a widget without touching it. Doing so changes the state of the touched area icon, closes the notification area and finally brings up the widgetsoid pop-up. In the pop-up a person must undo the unintended selection before making their intended selection. In this scenario I recommend making the widgetsoid widget "unactionable" while it is in the notification area.
Don't understand sorry :s
c. I use a 4X1 and 1X4 widgets so that I can use the most amount of icons on one widget (I use 10
icons in each widget). I do this because I'm not concerned with space because I use only the
notification area to access widgetsoid (the widget does not appear on my screen). The widgets can be loaded with a maximum of 10 icons. I need more than 10 icons so I use two widgets. When I select one of those widgets the pop-up is displayed in the shape and size of the chosen widget. Because I have 10 icons loaded in the widget, the icons are compressed so badly (especially if labels are set to on) that they are nearly inaccessible. This is especially true of the vertical widget. I recommend that pop-ups accessed from the notification area be displayed in a 4X4 or larger format so all icons are easily seen and accessible. This will also allow a user to load more than 10 icons into a widget if the user chooses to access a widgetsoid widget from the notification area only.
I will see what can I do.
2. What exactly does toggle animations do? I cannot tell a difference either way.
Just enable/disable menu animation. When menu change options appears right from left.
3. In Global Preferences, what does "Widget focusable" do exactly? Please be specific.
Widgets buttons are accessible with trackball or not. On some phone the home app go directly on widgetsoid widgets. to correct this just uncheck this one.
4. In Global Preferences, what does "Default state" do exactly? Please be specific.

Thanks for taking the time to make your app GREAT!
It's the default state of shortcuts by default they are always on but you can uncheck to have always off.

Hope you understand... Sorry for my english

Upvote 0
Thank you for answering my questions Jaumard! This one is important, so I want to help you understand:

Originally Posted by gossagga

If a person has a widgetsoid widget in the notification area, it can be accessed by sliding open the notifications and in the list of notifications you can select the widgetsoid widget that you want to see. When you select the widget a pop-up comes up with the widget you selected. Then you can make a choice of which icon you wish to activate or turn on or off. That is exactly how it should work. The problem is that when you select the widget from the notification area, you touch the screen on the widget you want to select and activate the icon you touch even before the pop-up comes up. Does this help you understand what I mean?

Upvote 0
Let's say I want to have a widget with wifi, data, gps and screenlock. I create the widget (switcher) with those icons and i choose to have it display in the notification area only (not on screen).

Now let's say I want to turn off my wifi. To access the widget I go to notifications and I can see the entire widget. I activate the widget by touching it somewhere. Let's say I touch it on the gps icon. When I do, the state of gps changes and and then the widget pops-up to the screen for me to make my selection to turn off wifi. I did not want to change the state of gps, only wifi. I can now turn off wifi but I must also turn gps back to on because I did not want to turn it off. Now I am done with my actions. To close the pop-up I tap the Evo's back button.

Now let's say I want to activate screenlock (dim the display and require me to turn the phone back to on). When I select the screenlock icon from the widget in the notification area, the screen goes off. Therefore, the widget has not popped up yet. When I turn my screen back on, the widget pops up.

Upvote 0
Thank you for answering my questions Jaumard! This one is important, so I want to help you understand:

Originally Posted by gossagga

If a person has a widgetsoid widget in the notification area, it can be accessed by sliding open the notifications and in the list of notifications you can select the widgetsoid widget that you want to see. When you select the widget a pop-up comes up with the widget you selected. Then you can make a choice of which icon you wish to activate or turn on or off. That is exactly how it should work. The problem is that when you select the widget from the notification area, you touch the screen on the widget you want to select and activate the icon you touch even before the pop-up comes up. Does this help you understand what I mean?

if it were possible I would have done ^ ^ but android don't allow toggles on notifications. It's an android limitation.

Upvote 0
Let's say I want to have a widget with wifi, data, gps and screenlock. I create the widget (switcher) with those icons and i choose to have it display in the notification area only (not on screen).

Now let's say I want to turn off my wifi. To access the widget I go to notifications and I can see the entire widget. I activate the widget by touching it somewhere. Let's say I touch it on the gps icon. When I do, the state of gps changes and and then the widget pops-up to the screen for me to make my selection to turn off wifi. I did not want to change the state of gps, only wifi. I can now turn off wifi but I must also turn gps back to on because I did not want to turn it off. Now I am done with my actions. To close the pop-up I tap the Evo's back button.

Now let's say I want to activate screenlock (dim the display and require me to turn the phone back to on). When I select the screenlock icon from the widget in the notification area, the screen goes off. Therefore, the widget has not popped up yet. When I turn my screen back on, the widget pops up.

Can you make screen shot ? I don't understand ? normally if you click on gps it turn gps and wifi it turn wifi...

Upvote 0
snap20110129_131430.jpg

snap20110129_131552.jpg

snap20110129_132322.jpg

Upvote 0
Is anyone else experiencing this problem--the functionality of using only notifications is now an annoyance. If you can help me explain to Jaumard what the problem is so that he understands it, that would be great. I don't know how to better communicate this to him other than to say that when you access the notification area to select the widget you are forced to invoke the function of one of your icons when you select the widget in the notification area. After selection, your widget comes up on the screen into a window so that you can make your originally intended selection.

Upvote 0
Jaumard, this IS the problem--the widget DOES toggle on notifications. It should not be doing this.
I think i understand, toggles work directly under notification so no need to open popup.
I will put an option to don't open popup after click on next update.

I was don't understand because 99% of phones don't support toggles on notifications it's why i open a popup.

I understand correctly?

Edit: what's your ROM ? I want to test it :)

Upvote 0
Thank you Jaumard. I'm at work without my phone so I'll have to get you my exact ROM version this evening...I use the stock ROM with the Evo 4G hardware version 003.

I think you now understand the problem I've been having, but I'm not sure your solution will completely fix it--you may have to do a bit more. Here's why:

Because the widget can be toggled in the notification area, I can tap only once to open the widget (the notification area closes, then the icon I select toggles and then a pop-up opens to give another opportunity for toggle). What if I want to change more than one icon? (for example, I want to turn off wifi and then turn off the screen with screen lock). If I disable the pop-up as you suggest, I must go back to the notification area to take my second action (turn on screen lock).

For a smartphone with "toggle-able" widgets in the notification area, there needs to be a way to to either keep the notification area open after the first selection, or simply make it so you cannot toggle the widget in the notification area (I think this is the best solution).

I want to thank you again for your obvious hard work--you really do have a 5-star app!

Upvote 0
Thank you Jaumard. I'm at work without my phone so I'll have to get you my exact ROM version this evening...I use the stock ROM with the Evo 4G hardware version 003.

I think you now understand the problem I've been having, but I'm not sure your solution will completely fix it--you may have to do a bit more. Here's why:

Because the widget can be toggled in the notification area, I can tap only once to open the widget (the notification area closes, then the icon I select toggles and then a pop-up opens to give another opportunity for toggle). What if I want to change more than one icon? (for example, I want to turn off wifi and then turn off the screen with screen lock). If I disable the pop-up as you suggest, I must go back to the notification area to take my second action (turn on screen lock).

For a smartphone with "toggle-able" widgets in the notification area, there needs to be a way to to either keep the notification area open after the first selection, or simply make it so you cannot toggle the widget in the notification area (I think this is the best solution).

I want to thank you again for your obvious hard work--you really do have a 5-star app!
I don't think i can use htc rom on my n1... Anyway...

I don't know if i can force system to let notification open after click because it's not me who control this. But i will try. It's a pity if i force popup and a lot of people don't want it...
I will see what can i do.

Upvote 0
widgetsoid is definitely near the top of my list of most useful apps i have.

and, it's nice to have a developer that is so responsive ... especially on a free app.

jaumard - for the notification question that gossagga has, i would like to see basically the opposite. since i can toggle bluetooth, wifi, etc from the notifications area, i don't need the pop-up. then, i would just "pull-down" the notification area and toggle my desired function and be done. maybe a check box to show the pop-up or not? no idea how easy or complicated that is.

fyi, i am using an incredible with froyo and golauncher.

Upvote 0
I think making the pop-up an option and not force it would be a good solution for a lot of people, including Smitty. That seems to be an easy fix for you. If I have to access the notification are multiple times, so be it :)

However, as Smitty pointed out, your app is at, or near the top of a lot of people's favorite apps (including mine)--I'm sure that also includes thousands of Evo users across the world; it's up to you how much time you want to invest...regardless, thank you for an awesome job thus far!

Upvote 0
widgetsoid is definitely near the top of my list of most useful apps i have.

and, it's nice to have a developer that is so responsive ... especially on a free app.

jaumard - for the notification question that gossagga has, i would like to see basically the opposite. since i can toggle bluetooth, wifi, etc from the notifications area, i don't need the pop-up. then, i would just "pull-down" the notification area and toggle my desired function and be done. maybe a check box to show the pop-up or not? no idea how easy or complicated that is.

fyi, i am using an incredible with froyo and golauncher.

Option already added :D but not on your version. Only on mine.

I have look and i can't let notifications open it's android system who control this.

Upvote 0
I think making the pop-up an option and not force it would be a good solution for a lot of people, including Smitty. That seems to be an easy fix for you. If I have to access the notification are multiple times, so be it :)

As i see it's htc who have add support for toggles on notifications...
Yes no way to let notif open after click sorry... I can reopen it but it's ugly...

Upvote 0
I don't know if you use the app Tasker...
But if you use it i'm talking with the dev to make compatible Widgetsoid with tasker.

I need to know what you want to do with widgetsoid and tasker.

run a Tasker task by pressing a widgetsoid toggle ?
Or
toggle a widgetsoid button by tasker profile ?
or
other idea...

I will see after what it's possible to do.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I don't know if you use the app Tasker...
But if you use it i'm talking with the dev to make compatible Widgetsoid with tasker.

Jaumard, now it's my turn. I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. What is "app Tasker?" If you mean do I use an app called "Tasker," no I do not.

I need to know what you want to do with widgetsoid and tasker.

You have created a great app--I'm simply suggesting that you make an option not to have a pop-up.

run a Tasker task by pressing a widgetsoid toggle ?
Or
toggle a widgetsoid button by tasker profile ?
or
other idea...

I'm sorry if I didn't understand your question.

I will see after what it's possible to do.

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones