• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wierd behaviour with Playlists using Play Music on Nexus 7 with 4.2

Hi Guys

I'm brand new to the whole android experience so this may be a really dumb question, but I'm getting some very strange things happening with my playlists using the stock Play Music

My Nexus 7 is absolutely stock with JB 4.2

On my laptop I'm running W7 Pro & using Media Monkey 3.2

To test I have created 3 playlists in media monkey: -

• List 1 - track 1, 2, 3
  • List 2 - track 1, 2, 3, 4
  • List 3 - track 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
and then synced these to my Nexus and they show up at 0 byte *.pla files in the playlist folder but...

Weird Behaviour 1
If I first sync list 1 then 2 ... list 1 disappears, then syncing list 3 & list 2 disappears :thinking:
If I sync list 3 first then 2... tracks 1-4 disappear from list 3, then syncing list 1 ... & tracks 1-3 disappear from list 2 :thinking:
It appears that a track can only appear on one playlist ... unless I'm doing something stupid :eek:

So I deleted all the *.pla playlists, exported the playlists from Media Monkey as *.m3u files and transferred them manually to my Nexus playlist folder. Now I have 3 playlists with 3, 4, & 5 tracks respectively but...

Weird Behaviour 2
When I open the playlist in Play Music browser all the tracks appear in the right order :)
When I either 'play' the playlist or 'add to queue' the tracks seem to add in some random order :thinking:
If I open the playlist first and then tap the first track, that plays and the rest of the list is random :rolleyes:

Its like when I start the playlist some sort of auto shuffle is happening as though I was selecting shuffle all rather than play or add... am I missing something obvious :eek:

I've tried winamp and I still get weird behaviour 1 but not 2 - list play in the proper order - I just prefer the Play Music interface which seems more tablet optimised

Not sure if this is an Android question or just a N7 question.
Any suggestions gratefully received
Gidders

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones