• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wifi / 3G icons

Up until two weeks ago, whenever I switched wifi on and it found a source, the 3G/3H icon would disappear and the wifi icon would replace it. Two weeks ago both icons would appear when wifi was activated. Now I am back to just the single icon. Is this a bug or user error of some sort?

Up until two weeks ago, whenever I switched wifi on and it found a source, the 3G/3H icon would disappear and the wifi icon would replace it. Two weeks ago both icons would appear when wifi was activated. Now I am back to just the single icon. Is this a bug or user error of some sort?

there have been two G1's and two N1's in my house and theyve always worked like this.. 3g icon is replace with wifi icon when wifi connection is stablished, and phone signal stays always on.. the only time the wifi and 3g icon stay on at the same time is whenever the wifi cant be stablished.. i guess that means 3g is been used and wifi still on but not connected to a network so all traffic goes thru 3g, or whenever you are connected to a network without internet.

Upvote 0
there have been two G1's and two N1's in my house and theyve always worked like this.. 3g icon is replace with wifi icon when wifi connection is stablished, and phone signal stays always on.. the only time the wifi and 3g icon stay on at the same time is whenever the wifi cant be stablished.. i guess that means 3g is been used and wifi still on but not connected to a network so all traffic goes thru 3g, or whenever you are connected to a network without internet.
Didn't think stablished was a real word until a looked it up, lol.

But yeah this guy is pretty much spot on. It means that your connected to wifi, but there is no internet connection, so its still using 3G.

Another time this happens, at least on my Verizon Eris, is when you send or receive a MMS message, since you can't use MMS over Wifi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones