WiFi and 3G signal drop: Hardware or Software issues?Support

Last Updated:

1. BODHi

BODHi Member This Topic's Starter

Has it been determined if the issues with WiFi or 3G signal dropping a hardware issue on the device or a software issue? I have 3 days left to exchange it for a brand new one and it would defeat the purpose if it ends up being on the software side.

I really love the heck out of my DX (52hr battery life with light usage!). But I'm getting sick and tired of either signal dropping randomly and not being able to connect on the Internet. I have to turn WiFi off/on, or with 3G, wait 'till it finally decides to reconnect itself again or close window and try again. When I do get a locked signal, it is fast, but within 10-15 minutes it drops. With WiFi I have tried many configuration with my router and everything is a No Go, same results.

From reading other posts and forums, some people are not experiencing any problems at all with their WiFi/3G connections. So that makes it real difficult to say which of the two is the culprit. Hardware or Software?

Advertisement
  2. r3dlined

r3dlined Well-Known Member

The signal is all over the place on mine as well. Pisses me off that they seemed to release a phone that NO ONE tried out. As a tester myself at work, one day with the x I would have had many bugs to report to the dev team

3. ozzzy3z

ozzzy3z Well-Known Member

I've had my X for 6 days. It is constantly jumping from 0 to 2 bars. 3G comes, 3G goes - constantly. When I am not on WIFI it makes surfing the web useless and the constant network searching is killing my battery.

Just curious, how many others are having signal issues? Those of you that have rooted, have you seen a boost in signal?

As a side note, my old LG Dare never had a problem obtaining 3G. Any thoughts?

4. CriticalMass

CriticalMass Well-Known Member

I believe it's more of a software issue. granted I have problems where I work maintaining a signal, but so does EVERYONE else. The X seems to be more willing to drop to 1x than the blackberries do here though.

My issue is occasionally when at home and I always have full signal strength, If I go to download something or do something on the phone, it will drop to 1x for30-35 seconds and then kick back into 3g. I tend to believe it's some kind of software issue that needs to be tweaked.

It seems to have gotten better with the leaked 2.2 though. Hopefully it will be even better with the official 2.2.

5. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Has everyone who has been having signal issues done the *228, prompt 2 re-programming?

Won't help WiFi, of course, but it's worth trying for cellular signal problems.

For what it's worth, I have zero signal problems with mine. Wifi is rock solid at home, and I get 3G everywhere. I occasionally see it switch to 1x, but it's infrequent and rarely lasts long.

6. CriticalMass

CriticalMass Well-Known Member

Several times. in my case it did not help at all. But I always update the PRL any time I'm having out of the ordinary signal issues.

7. ozzzy3z

ozzzy3z Well-Known Member

Yep, done the *228 update. It didn't really help. I have no problems with wifi. Hopefully 2.2 will fix some of these issues because overall the X is a great piece of technology.

8. OrderFromChaos

OrderFromChaos Well-Known Member

I don't have any issues with my WiFi or 3G connections. My WiFi automatically connections to secured and unsecured networks that I have already setup when they're in range. The 3G connection has been solid as well. My phone is rooted (2.1 still) but has never been reset or airplane mode enabled. Not sure if any of that makes a difference, but figured it was worth mentioning.

The only problem I have, and I seem to be the only with it is that if my phone stays untouched for a while the WiFi turns off. The sleep setting is set to "never" but it still turns off. I have Launcher Pro Plus, Widget Locker, and Quick Profiles installed. All of them have been installed for a while but this issue only started less than two weeks ago. It's a software problem just not sure which one is the culprit.