Wifi and data use

Last Updated:

1. Billy's Mum

Billy's Mum New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Just got my Desire on Friday. Never used a phone other than a Nokia so I'm finding it a little challenging but getting there, slowly! The thing I find hardest is texting. I keep hitting the wrong keys. Oh well, I guess my friends will get some interesting texts! ;)

I set up my home wifi when I got the phone and I had set it to use wifi before connecting to the Telstra network, as I mostly use the net on my phone when at home. Anyway, all has been working fine until last night. It won't reconnect to my home wifi. It sees the network and says it is "remembered" etc but just won't connect. Any ideas?

Also, when you are browsing the web or using facebook and then you just click the home button, does that mean the web browser has closed? I couldn't see any other way (like the X button in windows) to close it down. I don't want a huge data use bill because I've left things running.

I'm sorry if this all sounds dumb. As I said, I'm really struggling with this phone.

Thanks in advance.

Kate

Advertisement
  2. mpquikster

mpquikster Member

i don't think it will keep on using data when you have closed it, but you may have other things like weather and facebook set to update quite frequently so you will be using data.

You can either set all these to not update automatically or use a widget where you can switch your mobile internet on and off as and when you need it.

oh and on the texting thing, have you got the predictive text turned on? I find this very good and the more words you add to the dictionary the better it gets.

took me a while to get used to it all but you will get there!

3. Wlliam.

Wlliam. Well-Known Member

There is something you should know about android.

It specializes in a very specific type of memmory management.

Background memmory management.

I am talking about apps. :cool:

Apps don't close like any other operating system, you just minimize it, it will enter in a sleep state, but it wont have any traffic, so no worries about data use bill. Unless you are loading a video or something that requieres constant data stream.

4. Billy's Mum

Billy's Mum New Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you both.

I'm slowly getting there with this phone. I just called Telstra to get some help with the wifi and that's all going well again.

As far as texting, well, I have the keyboard set to "phone keypad". I just can't my head OR FINGERS around qwerty. Perhaps I should persist? I keep hitting the wrong keys. I do have predictive text turned on but yeah, still finding it hard. It's not like I have big monster man fingers either! LOL

Thanks again.

:)

5. alackman

alackman Well-Known Member

Give qwerty a go. I was the same before my desure and always prefered the standard phone style layout for keyboard. Once however you have calibrated the qwerty for your typing, when toy text, it allows for slight errors and auto suggests the correct word. Its not 100% but still pretty clever. Enjoy your desire!

6. fidjit

fidjit New Member

Try doing a keyboard calibration as well:
    Settings -> Language and Keyboard. -> Touch Input -> Text Input -> Calibration Tool .

7. widehead

widehead Well-Known Member

I don't have a touch input option in my language and keyboard settings.