WiFi and GPS

Last Updated:

1. factotem

factotem Member This Topic's Starter

I just bought a HTC Hero on line in Australia. It seems to be made for Eastern Europe. However I was able to choose English for language.

I bought it mainly for using WiFi in hot spots when I am away and the GPS. This is my first smart phone.

So far I managed to be able to read the micro SD card on my computer. I am able to connect to my wireless network at home but cannot use Hero's browser, email or anything else with Internet, due to no connection. Also I cannot get the weather of Melbourne where I live and Sydney came up instead! In other words I failed to use the phone the way I bought it for!:confused:

I need all the help I can get and would be most grateful. :)

Advertisement
  2. vaira.m

vaira.m Active Member

Can u brief ur question more precisely??
    If u can connect to wifi internet then u shld be able to use hero's browser wen u r connected to wifi...

3. mclemme

mclemme Active Member

Are you having issues browsing, etc. when the phone says you are connected to the wifi? Then have a look at: blog.jir.dk HTC Hero and Wifi Connectivity Issues

There's also a huge thread a couple of pages back with a lot of suggestions, can't find the link atm. But try the above, took me quite some time to find the optimal wifi settings for my router.

4. factotem

factotem Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys. I can see the Wifi icon on green. When I tap Google the message is " This application requires network access. Enable mobile network or wifi to download data". Then I tap select and got to wireless control. It shows wifi is on. wifi setting is:wifi network remembered, secured with WPA-personal. I have the phone just about next to mt router.

The GPS icon also showed green but nothing happens when I tap on it.

Can it be my software version 1.0.0.A6288?

@mclemme: Thanks for the link. I am going to look for it and the others you suggested.

5. mclemme

mclemme Active Member

@factotem: Seems like your phone actually has the wifi access point stored but that it can't connect - have you tried an access point from another manufacturer? Some of the really cheap access points are pretty crappy with android sadly >_<

Your software version is the same as mine, so it should work.

The other thread I mentioned is here: http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/7475-connect-via-wifi-problems.html

If you are inside a building or in a place where the sky is not visible it is very hard to get a decent GPS signal, does it work outside? Try google maps while you are outside, that should use GPS to pinpoint your position down to a couple of meters.