Wifi and My Location mess

Last Updated:

1. Argel

Argel Member This Topic's Starter

After two weeks of really enjoying my new Desire, I go on holiday and find myself almost regretting going with Android because of the mess that is Google's location service.

I'm working on a wifi system at the holiday cottage and my location is jumping around within a perimeter of around 10 miles, making all the location-based services useless. I gather this is to do with Google's error-ridden database of wifi locations. Apparently if I had bought the damn Apple thing it would use Skyhook and be accurate.

If I turn on GPS I can get an intermittent signal indoors, which means the location skips randomly to to the correct one and then back to one of the spurious wifi-based ones. Sometimes I get a spurious location even though the symbol indicates I have a GPS lock

The Places Directory app is stuck on a location where I was earlier in the day, even though the name attached to it is that of the correct current location! No idea how to free it up and get it to read the current location.

All in all, instead of being an asset on holiday in a new place, the Desire is turning out to be a massive waste of time and effort unless I keep the GPS on permanently and even then the usefulness is severely limited since the places directory is apparently not reading the GPS location.

Is there any way to force the device to use cell-tower location? A couple of kilometres error would be a great deal better than what I have now.

Argel

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

GPS isnt designed to be used inside.

Why not leave GPS enabled/on? It gets turned off automatically, just like wifi (when sleep policy set) and apps turn them back on when needed. ;)

3. charlies99

charlies99 Well-Known Member

First of all....chill out and enjoy your holiday ! you need to de-stress mate !! Ignore the phone and go the the tourist office.

Having a GPS fix will not help with location based searches if you do not have basic mobile connectivity (GPRS etc)

Places app may know your location, but cannot download any info, due to above (no connectivity)

Apple would not be any better !

I had the same problem in Whitby, but when I got home, everything just worked again !

I will say I would have loved the features I can get here now, but on holiday the connectivity was just not available !!

4. charlies99

charlies99 Well-Known Member

Oh, and by the way, I know how hard it is to talk to the family, but by the end of the week you could find it was fun......just put down the phone !