• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi and wireless Switching Advice Needed

I would like to make my Samsung Moment more usable at work.
The building I work in is on the edge of a dead zone so cellular service is not usable at all. Phones connect and loose signals all day long, so most people turn their phones off during work since all you can get there is a dead battery. However if you move to another building or go outside you will get a signal so having to remember to turn the phone back on is kind of a pain.
So now that I have a phone that has WiFi I'm wondering if there might be options that I could use to keep the phone working during the day? I can connect to the company WiFi and get a good signal from nearly any place on-site so using my Google Voice account would be a great option which leads me to some questions.
Here are some questions I have about doing this:

1. Fist of all, has anyone already done a similar setup that has recommendations?
  2. Is it possible to have WiFi enabled but cellular service disabled so that my phone isn't constantly connecting and dropping cellular service?
  3. Once I get out of the office then I can't find WiFi until I get home, so switching back to cellular easily would be nice.
  4. It seems to me that there's a setting to use Google Voice or cellular for calls but I can't find that now. Any idea how to bring that setting up again?
I think that's all for now.
Thanks,

If your company will let you hook into the Internet, all you need is a femtocell which would produce a five-bar signal. Sprint make the Airave which accomplishes this. Depending on your situation, they may give it to you for free.

As to another aspect of your question, the app "Setting Profiles" will let you take many actions depending on conditions detected. In your case, it would detect and identify your company's wifi signal. Whether turning off cell service is one of its parameters, I don't know although I do know that the programmer is quick to add features upon request.

"Setting Profiles" is the app everyone went to after the full-version of Locale cost $10 and turned out to be much worse then the beta.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones