wifi apps

Last Updated:

1. htowngtr

htowngtr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Maybe I don't have this setup correctly, but each time I turn on wifi (from the power widget) I have to go into settings and actually tell it to connect to wifi networks that it has already configured.

Is there an app or a way to control the wifi so that when it turns on it automatically connects to the network that is in range and configured for?

Advertisement
  2. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

I've got mine to connect to home and our work's customer wireless. It automagically connects to either, I don't have to tell it to connect.

3. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

same here

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Same for me. I set it up once and it connects automatically now. Is there an option to connect automatically that you didn't check or anything? It should be working.

5. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

Another same here, though only at home thus far.

I had trouble connecting to mine at home at first, then i realized I had the SSID wrong (non-broadcast), fixed that and almost instantly it was connected.

6. htowngtr

htowngtr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How long does it generally take? I turn it on with power widget and it doesn't connect for a few minutes so I force it.

I checked settings and there is not one for that anywhere I can tell.

Do you guys have the sleep option turned off, btw?

7. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

It literally takes seconds. I even have WPA configured and (as I noted before) my SSID isn't broadcast...

8. smilepak

smilepak Well-Known Member

Download WeFi, it is a much better WIFI widget

9. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

How so? My home wireless network is configured and connects when I select to turn on wireless. I can't ask for much more, or a more simple configuration....

10. SurgiclPrcision

SurgiclPrcision Member

I also have a SSID hidden WPA2 personal home network, but the phone can only connect when i make the SSID visible. Did you find a workaround/setting somewhere or are you using something third party??

thanks in advance.

11. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

Same question, standing by . . .

12. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

Using the standard config tool. You need to actually configure the network in order to connect to it, but I just plugged in my network's info and (once it was right) boom, it was online on wifi.

13. barry99705

There's really no reason to hide the ssid, it isn't really hidden. It still will be shown briefly when a client connects. Hidden ssid's will degrade hand offs if you have more than one access point on your network.

14. allanlaw

Just to make sure I understand your answer to the pending question, you are connecting to your network with the Droid WITH SSID SET TO NOT BROADCAST ON YOUR ROUTER? If the answer is yes, did you have to do something SPECIAL with the Droid to accomplish the task? Please be specific or we will be at this forever. Thanks. :)

15. TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy Well-Known Member

I keep my SSID hidden, but I did set it to broadcast when I set up my Wi-Fi connection on my Droid. My home network is set to WPA-2 Personal, broadcast it, connected my Droid to the network, then re-hid the SSID. It connects just fine with the power control widget. Every now and then it will lose connection, so I shut off the Wi-fi through the widget and turn it back on. Any time I add a new computer to my network I temporarily turn broadcasting back on, and once it's set up, I shut off broadcasting. I find it easier since the phone or a computer will be able to find it easier than me having to enter all the network information in myself. Hopefully this isn't redundant information and can help someone. :)

16. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

Maybe I got a "bad" phone but yes, I believe my SSID was hidden when I configured the phone. I turned it on BRIEFLY in an attempt to connect, until I realized I'd entered the SSID of my PARENT'S wireless network instead of mine. I believe I re-hid my SSID then re-connected the Droid with the CORRECT SSID. I can "unconfigure" the phone and try the initial config again to make sure...

OK, my network is "forgotten"...
    Reconfigured and it's obtaining an address... Connected, with the SSID hidden...

17. allanlaw

Interesting. Simply, my Droid will connect with SSID broadcasting, then disconnect when the SSID is not broadcasting. On/off/on/off, just like that, test after test. My network is a "remembered" network on the Droid, so the on/off/on is completely automatic. This is using G, WPA2 PSK with MAC address filtering.

18. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

FWIW, just connected to another WiFi network today, my parent's. Their SSID is hidden also and MAC filtering is configured. Added the Droid's MAC to their allowed list and configured the network on the phone, BOOM, connected. No issues at all, even with the SSID not broadcast...

19. allanlaw

Is it WEP, WPA or WPA2?

20. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

My parent's is none of the above. My dad's laptop is about 6 years old, since we can't run WPA there's really no sense in running anything. Especially with the SSID changed and non-broadcast, the IP changed, the router password changed.

21. allanlaw

OK, and how is yours set up? WPA or WPA2, PSK, etc.? I'm trying to determine the variable that allows yours to work with SSID off and mine not.

22. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

Mine is WPA

23. PridgNYC

PridgNYC Well-Known Member

Mine is WPA/PSK and it will not connect when the SSID broadcast is turned off.

24. allanlaw

Alrighty. Today I was faced with a network running with WPA (not WPA2) and SSID not broadcasting, AND OLD DROID GOT RIGHT ON IT (of course, after I set up a network profile with the correct SSID and password). The network also has MAC address filter enabled, so I first entered the Droid's MAC address in the router setup.

So, mplevy was able to run on SSID-blocked networks with no security and with WPA, I was able to run on SSID-blocked with WPA, BUT NOT on WPA2 with SSID blocked. Now I'm wondering if the critical difference is WPA vs. WPA2 if SSID is blocked. BTW given my drothers, I will broadcast the SSID and retain WPA2 as a higher level of security.

:D

25. barry99705

You know there's absolutely no security with that setup right?