• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wifi billing monthly??

FupaDroid

Dec 4, 2009
I was browsing tmobiles plans for there top phones when I noticed that they are trying to get people to BUY wifi services at a rate of 9.99 a month... As far as i know this should not be alowed. when you use wifi through a phone it is not using any service provided by the cell phone carrier. it is internet through a third party. to me this would be like being charged by toyota to get new tires on my truck even if i go to sears. there is no way this would fly. it seems as though they are trying to take advantage of the fact that most people dont know what wifi is. i am not picking on tmobile either because i think i have heard verizon saying the same thing. unless i am missing a big piece of the picture, this would be another class action lawsuit for these cell phone companies. probably along the lines of "A service provider cannot bill a member for a service they did not provide". i mean, i can get onto any wifi hotspot with my laptop for free, why would i need to pay tmobile for it. can anyone explain this to me???

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/services/default.aspx

ya it should say "hotspot" 9.99". its the only thing that is 9.99. its wierd, its seems like there updating their page because it looks different sometimes. but its definately there.

but i dont understand how they could be providing any service. it says in the "more info" section, stay connected to places you already go like borders, starbucks, the airport, etc. these are all generic hotspots that anyone who has a wifi reciever embedded into any device could connect to. it has nothing to do with tmobiles service, they are completely uneffected by any wifi activity. am i just missing something here??

Upvote 0
Are you talking about the "web2go" plan? If so, that's 3G, not WiFi access. That's the price of "data" for non-branded/unlocked phones (e.g. the Milestone I'm ordering). What's weird is that the "T-Mo Hot spot" is $9.99/mo., and only gets you T-Mo WiFi, but for a penny more, you get "Hot Spot" plus "3G" with the "T-Mo Internet" plan.

Upvote 0
I don't think they want to charge you for general WiFI usage. That is only for connecting to pay hotspots and then only certain hotspots on their list. This is why I rarely use pay WiFI since there are too many and I don't want contracts with them or be enticed to visit only places with the right kind. But for home, work, and places with free or known credentials you wouldn't pay no matter what you have with the provider.

Funny though, many ISPs I've seen that have WiFI give it to you for free (with limits) if you have an active account with the landline account. So I don't see this added pay service being very useful.

Upvote 0
no its not the web2go plan. this is a service entitled "hotspot" and its a 9.99 add on to unlimited everything with 500 minutes service. since i dont know how to save and import a print screen i will just show you how i got to the service i am talking about. its easy.

-tmobile.com>
-highlight shop tab>phones>android>
-scroll all the way down to the behold and hit "view phone details">
-hit the buy now button under the EVEN MORE PLUS PLAN
-hit the 59.99 option under individual plans>

now you should be at the "services" step and there should be an option that says "hotspot" 9.99. click on more details and it explains what it is. and what they are explaining sounds like they are charging you to use third party wifi zones. i dont get how or why they would do this at all seeing that wifi at public places has nothing to do with your cell phone service. tell me what you guys think

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones