• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi calling, better for battery?

Hey all-
I'm relatively new to androids, have had my MyTouch 4g for about two weeks... Awesome!

I'm working on improving my battery life. It's getting better, but would of course love to see even longer battery times.

I recently learned that Wifi is more battery efficient than using the phone's 3g/4g --- awesome!

My question is related to phone calls/wifi calling. Would it be more battery efficient to use Wifi calling when I'm on a wifi network?

Thanks!

I recently learned that Wifi is more battery efficient than using the phone's 3g/4g --- awesome!

Yes and no. The WiFi antenna uses considerably more power than 3G when transferring data, but it happens much more rapidly so ultimately less total power is consumed for the same size transfer.

When using VOIP with a wireless receiver that antenna is on the entire time, so I would say that using WiFi for voice calls would cause a rapid battery drain.

Upvote 0
Looking into this very question, i found very a very different answer:

Smart Wi-Fi: Battery Life - Keeps getting better

In our experience, the Defy seems to have stellar battery life, which is relatively hard to come by among Android phones. Not only we were able to consistently make it comfortably through an entire day on a charge, but we were surprised to find that after putting the phone away with about 75 percent charge, it was still on with 21 percent remaining two days later. Granted, it spent most of that time in WiFi calling range (which disables the cellular radio), but many smartphones give up the ghost from 100 percent charge in less time, so we were pleased to see that."

And i will have to parrot the sentiment, i had my vibrant on all day (starting from 100%) and at the end of the day i was at 87%.....normally I'd be at 10% or dead. I also made a few calls (about 2 hours worth). It's all anecdotal though lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones