1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Wifi Calling on T-Mobile Nexus 5?General

Last Updated:

1. techymexican

techymexican Member

Any hope for the Nexus 5 on T-Mobile to get wifi calling? I know the nexus 4 didn't, but I do hope this does :/

Advertisement
  2. woodythegreat

woodythegreat Member

I doubt it. Wifi Calling is a T-Mobile thing and T-Mobile wont be modifying the Nexus 5 to add Wifi Calling. I believe when the new Hangouts update drops in the playstore you can do VOIP pretty much if im not mistaken.
  3. Tarzanman

Tarzanman Active Member

I doubt it. T-mobile's wifi calling would require specialized software for access their own SIP servers and whatever encoding protocol they use for voice.

This would require them to put an app on an android market for the entire world to disassemble and root through for vulrenabilities.

Probably not worth the risk.
  4. btmosley72

btmosley72 Member

You can use GrooveIP app and Google Voice account to call over wifi and data. Thats what i have been doing for a while. IF Republic Wireless carries the N5 it will do everything over data and wifi automatically. Almost went with them. but they had horrible phones. though they are getting moto x soon and it will have kitkat. so....
  5. WillieB

WillieB Member

... but only until May 2014, when Google disables the protocol GrooveIP (and Tapatalk, and others) uses.

I love GrooveIP, but it's not at all the same thing as Wifi Calling.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Hmm. There was a Dev that got WiFi calling on the tmobile S3 AOSP Roms. I'm sure its possible