Wifi calling - tmobile.General

Last Updated: 2013-10-15 15:42:34
  1. nexgenasian

nexgenasian Well-Known Member

Tmobile Note 3 black, unrooted, stock.

Hi All,

Been enjoying the note 3 for the last week or so but noticed
    a quirk.

Maybe it's a restriction on t-mobiles part but it seems as though you CANNOT use wifi calling while in airplane mode, even though your wifi is on. I'm trying to save battery as I'm in a very insulated building while I'm at work (you know 3 feet of concrete :D). We have wifi, I have that and connect to it but usually put my phones on airplane mode to turn off the cell/2g/3g/4g. Is this also what happens on other phones?

Advertisement
  2. chimphappyhour

chimphappyhour Well-Known Member

I also work underground and use the wifi calling instead. I'm not sure about the airplane mode thing though as I only ever use that if I'm really on an airplane. (I plug in when I'm sitting at my desk. Not because I ever run out of juice but mostly because I like to be topped off in case I find myself away from power for a while.) I suspect it might very well be the case that they have it programmed so that the wifi calling doesn't function in airplane mode though.

I know I wouldn't want to be on a plane and have to listen to someone blathering on and on in flight. We all know some idiot would too. Due to the dynamics of speech, the person on the phone on a plane would have to be talking far louder than someone talking to the person sitting next to them.

So, at this point, assume that's the case and if you can, leave your phone set to not be in airplane mode. Charge when you can and you should be ok.