Wifi Connection ProblemGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Speedy328

Speedy328 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've searched but have not found a solution as yet. New to Eris and have set up Wifi to connect to home router (Verizon FIOS Actiontec). Successfully connected (accepted WEP) but get very weak signal and then lose connection. I've turned off "Mobile Network" but still have this problem. I am one room away from router and receive full signal on iMac and printer but only a dot under the Wifi symbol on the Eris. Exchanged a Motorola Droid (which received and held full signal -- as did my prior iPhone)) for Eris. VZW tech support clueless and immediately sent me to HTC support. While they tried (had some not very good explanations -- battery not pushing enough power) still nothing working. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated -- this is the only downside right now. If doesn't work tonight will swap for another tomorrow at VZW.

Advertisement
  2. amprosman

amprosman New Member

My Eris could not find my wifi at all. However The Eris is a wireless b/g. I changed my router from Mixed Mode (ie. b/g/n mixed) to wireless-g only. That corrected the problem.

3. ERHandyman

ERHandyman New Member

I understand that changing to wireless G only may solve the problem for my Iris phone, but it creates other issues with other devices on my system.

Does anyone have any other possible solutions and is this issue only with the HTC Droid Eris?

I had tried the Motorola Droid and it worked fine on our WIFI (along with other nice unique features), but I felt like I was very awkward to hold, weighed a ton, I hated the keyboard and it felt like a brick in my pocket.

4. droid-dohrk

droid-dohrk Well-Known Member

I have the Belkin N+ wireless router setup for b/g/n with WPA2 and it works fine for our two Eris phones. Someone else had the same router setup for WPA/WPA2 (to allow both) and they couldn't connect well. They changed to WPA2 only and said it worked fine. Since you said your signal seems a little low, maybe try changing the channel or move the router? I moved mine from the corner of my desk to the closet that is closer to the middle of the house and that improved the laptop to a full signal now (144 N Excellent) from the bedroom and the Eris is still pretty happy, but only shows about 1 ring (54 G Fair) from the bedroom. I think the metal shelves were blocking a little, but now that it's on the other side of the shelves next to the wall closer to the middle of the house, it's a lot better signal.